[Push] Artificial ant problem

Lee Spector lspector at hampshire.edu
Tue Sep 23 22:03:00 EDT 2008

Pablo,

Push has been used for a lot of non-mathematical problems, but
unfortunately there aren't very many cleaned up examples floating
around, and I don't know of an artificial ant example... although it
shouldn't be too hard to write.

In the Lisp version, at http://hampshire.edu/lspector/push3/, there
are a couple of examples including the even n-parity problem (which is
Boolean).

A much more complicated example, using Push but not PushGP per se, is
the SwarmEvolve 2.0 system that comes as one of the demos with the
breve simulation environment (from www.spiderland.org). This uses many
types but it's more of an artificial life application than a GP
application.

Your message is a reminder to me that we are interested in polishing
up Jon Klein's new Java implementation called Psh (http://www.spiderland.org/Psh/
), and a good idea for that would be to code up some other standard
problems like artificial ant. But I'm not sure when this will happen.

On the creation of additional types, I think this may also be easiest
in Psh. Maarten Keijzer also has versions in which types can be
defined dynamically by Push itself, or built automatically from Java
types via reflection, but I don't know if he has made any of these
publicly available (I'll cc him).

  -Lee