[Push] Several questions

Lee Spector lspector at hampshire.edu
Fri Jan 20 22:01:37 EST 2006

Hi Bill,

I'm definitely interested in talking about and helping to design
additional types. I'll be a bit useless on C implementation issues
though -- for the C version of the library I'm just a user (via
breve) and a cheerleader. But I am very much interested in the design
ideas and would love to discuss them (and I think it'd be interesting
to keep this on the list, at least for a while). I've used other
types in the Lisp implementation, like unitary matrices for quantum
computing, so I've thought a little about the issues that arise.

Maarten Keijzer (who designed and wrote the Push3 library) even has a
cool scheme -- some of which may actually be lurking in the current
source -- for a real TYPE type (not just the type name and
instruction overloading scheme that was in Push1) that allows for
dynamic type definition. And also an ENVIRONMENT type with some
interesting implications. Last Maarten and I discussed all of this it
didn't seem quite ready for prime time, but it's neat and would allow
for new applications... so if your interests tend in this direction
maybe we could pick up that thread.

  -Lee