[Push] Push3 in C++

John Truesdale jet at ncar.ucar.edu
Thu Aug 12 17:58:07 EDT 2004

Hi Maarten, Lee, pushers and spammers galore:

As per Maarten's suggestion I've moved my correspondence to this list.  Well
I downloaded and compiled the first version of push3 and am in the
process of going through the code.  Just a few notes/questions at this point.

1) Tar file built and installed executables and libraries.

2) Compile times and memory usage for this code are a little high. Compile
   time on a xeon (2.8Ghz-2Gb) was about 20 minutes.  Memory usage by gcc
   with default optimization was around 200 Mb.  Maarten says the autoconf
   stuff could use a little work and I may start there just to cut the build
   time down.  (Flash: Martin just wrote to say that he

>    ... just hacked up the big Instructions.cpp
>    into many pieces and updated the cvs repository with it. It seems
>    to build faster on my machine (P-4 2.66 Ghz, 1Gb Ram). It's now
>    finished in a little over 4 minutes.

   I guess I'll try updating with the CVS version.  Thanks Maarten that will
   help the turnaround with development compiles.

3) The examples directory contain some test executables but they require
   a configuration file (test.config) which is missing.  Hopefully you can
   help out here Maarten.  Even if you have a sample config file that is
   probably enough to get me going.

4) The test directory contains a pushtest executable but again no driver
   to run tests of basic push functionality.  Is there something similar
   to the run_tests.sh that you provided with previous versions?

5) When I build the executables, autoconf/libtool is placing a wrapper
   script into the directory and putting the executable in a .libs
   directory.  The wrapper script says

# pushgp_int - temporary wrapper script for .libs/pushgp_int
# Generated by ltmain.sh - GNU libtool 1.5a (1.1240 2003/06/26 06:55:19)
#
# The pushgp_int program cannot be directly executed until all the libtool
# libraries that it depends on are installed.

   Maarten, do you know what its talking about.  What libraries need to be
   installed?  I installed the push libraries updated my LD_LIBRARIES_PATH
   and tried to rebuild some of the executables but it keeps generating the
   wrapper files.  What am I missing?

6)  What is the status of the boost files in the distribution?  Ideally it
    would be nice to link to a boost library.

7)  Thank you Lee and Maarten for putting the code out there.  Hopefully I'll
    be able to contribute.

jt