[Push] Provided Examples

Raphael Crawford-Marks rcrawford-marks at hampshire.edu
Wed Sep 25 08:43:46 EDT 2002

Stefan,

Sometimes a GP run won't find a solution...it gets stuck in some local
minima from which it can't escape.  This goes for all GP, not just PushGP.
Try setting the generation limit in PushGP (*max-generations*, I think) to
something smaller, like 50 or 100.  Then do several runs.  The default
problem is a pretty easy one, so it should find a solution most of the time.
Also, your machine speed has nothing to do with the problem-solving ability
of the GP system....just how fast it goes.

Good luck,

Raphael

Hi there!

I'm quite new to the subject of Genetic Programming. The work done with Push
seems very appealing to me. Would you help me getting started?

I downloaded the accompanying LISP code yesterday and tried the default
problem by simply loading the file named "load". Suprisingly, there wasn't a
solution after 1000 generations.

Is that problem really so hard ... or our machine so slow?

Thanks a lot for all your effort.

Stefan Mandl