New Leaf Upcoming sustainability events

Sara Draper sdraper at hampshire.edu
Tue Sep 18 10:54:53 EDT 2018

Hi New Leaf-ers,

I'm Sara, the new director of the Kern Center. It's my job to make the
most of our Living Building by doing on and off- campus outreach and
tours, helping students and faculty engage in research and courses on
the building, and hosting sustainability-focused events. I hope I can be
a resource for you all, as the primary sustainability student group on
campus.

I wanted to let you know about #NoFilter, a series of drinking water
events the Kern Center and Roddenberry Funds are hosting, examining the
intersection of policy, technology, and environmental justice in
drinking water. Learn more on the Kern Center events page
<https://www.hampshire.edu/discover-hampshire/events-the-kern-center>,
and via Facebook at the links below. I hope you'll be able to
participate and contribute your knowledge and perspective, and feel
inspired to spread the word to your friends, classmates, and professors.

    /Thursday 9/20, 5:30-7:30pm, Kern 202/
    *What’s up with the water in the Kern?: A “Design Conspiracy”
    Special Session* <https://www.facebook.com/events/1998816966844253/>
    The Kern Center needs help to improve our basement potable water
    system. Bring your ideas and questions to a special Design
    Conspiracy brainstorming session with the Kern Center engineer and
    water operator.

    /Wednesday 9/26, 6:30-8:15pm, FPH East Lecture Hall/
    *Drinking Water Policy and Advocacy Panel Discussion*
    <https://www.facebook.com/events/748710562137861/>
    Join Clean Water Action and UMass Amherst professors to discuss the
    policies that shape our water systems, issues of equity and access,
    and how to advocate for safe and sustainable water.

    /Friday 9/28, 12pm-4pm, Dining Commons, Middle Room/
    *Drinking Water Hackathon*
    <https://www.facebook.com/events/325473168209907/>
    We're partnering with the NS's Fantastic Friday to bring together
    students, faculty, engineers, social justice advocates, and policy
    experts to "hack" our way to safer, more sustainable, and more
    equitable drinking water systems. Lunch is provided; pre-register
    <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdVS7ZcPQuL6EhRChQfkgembKZxHim9wrp3x4EwBApWHPHTFg/viewform?usp=sf_link>
    to reserve your spot!

I also wanted to let you know about a CEL/volunteer opportunity
<https://intranet.hampshire.edu/news-events/cel-opportunity-kern-center-ambassador-update>
to become a Living Building Ambassador for the Kern Center and Hitchcock
Center. Training begins Tuesday 9/25 if you are interested!

I hope to meet you all in person soon; please feel free to reach out to
me with questions, ideas, or just to say hi.

Cheers,
Sara

--
Sara Draper
R.W. Kern Center Director of Educational Program and Outreach

Twitter: @Kern_Center
Instagram: @rwkerncenter
Facebook: Facebook.com/HampshireSustainabilityInitiative