New Leaf Fwd: A few spots left in the Sumac School - year long, monthly wild/food intensive class starting April!

Felix Lufkin bufonia1 at aol.com
Thu Mar 15 15:36:01 EDT 2018

*Leapfrog Programs Presents:****The Sumac School**- year long intensive
wild food cla*

*This apprenticeship will take you deep into connection with the natural
world we live in and are a part of through the doorway of wild foods*.
Penetrate the wallpaper that limits our relationships with the wide
world of plants and animals! Through a year's cycle, we'll cover a wide
range of survival, practical and awareness skills with a strong focus on
learning from and about plants and animals. Enjoy an immediately
positive impact on your diet, budget, health, awareness and sense of
belonging to the land.

  *

    Gain confidence and familiarity with *more than 50 edible, medicinal
    & useful and poisonous species of plants, *and their uses - how to
    find, ID, harvest and prepare them into food and medicine.

  *

    *Plant and land stewarding skills:*Learn how to care for and
    propagate plants by coppicing, grafting, layering, and germinating
    seeds and cuttings; and the basics of permaculture design and
    gardening as we explore gardens in the area. Explore a diversity of
    habitats and wild hotspots in the Valley as we explore gardens,
    streams, rivers, forests and fields together in different towns.

  *

    *Learn how to make plants into useful tools *to create glue,
    baskets, mats, cordage and rope, tinder and insulation, making
    friction fires, and projectiles.

  *

    *Learn 20 mammals and 20 bird species *that share our habitat, their
    habits, appearance, songs and tracks. *Process animals into food
    with skinning, butchering, meat curing and hide work*. We will
    slaughter chickens and a sheep.

*Class appropriate for ages 15+. Meets one Sat. a month closest to full
moon from 4/18 to 3/19. Cost is 400-700$ sliding scale, requires a 200$
deposit - and supports public fruit tree planting. Limited work trade
available. Register by 4/15*

*Saturdays*: 4/28, 5/26, 6/23, 7/28, 8/25, 9/22*,*10/27, 11/17, 12/15.
2019: 1/5, 2/2 ,3/2

*Instructor bio: *Felix Lufkin has been foraging and educating about
plants, for 12 years. He teaches nature and gardening programs at K-12
schools in the Valley, and has offered hundreds of plant walks for the
community through Acorn Kitchen and Help Yourself.

*Visit www.leapfrogprograms.org to find out more and register*