New Leaf environmental/sustainability Spring '18 course with seats available

Tim Zimmerman tzimmerman at hampshire.edu
Fri Jan 19 13:12:09 EST 2018

Hi New Leaf folks,

Could you pass this around to friends who might be interested (or sign
up yourself)?  And, Sarah B., could you please forward this to the
environmental student groups' lists at the other 5C institutions and cc
me? - Thanks

=============
I have seats available in my Hampshire College course "Critical pedagogy
of place: A tool for environmental action and social change" course
number: CS-0257-1.

Here's the description:

Critical pedagogy of place: A tool for environmental action and social
change: Critical pedagogy of place: a tool for environmental action and
social change. In this advanced course on environmental education, we
will read seminal works on notions of place (Thoreau; Leopold), critical
pedagogy (Freire), place-based (Sobel), critical theory (hooks), queer
ecology (Mortimer-Sandilands), and ecophilosophy. We will also read
modern thinkers such as Gruenwald/Greenwood, Berry, Gough, and
non-white, indigenous and gender diverse scholars LaDuke, Taylor,
Hoffner and others. We will spend time in "places" (possibly including a
field trip, or two) to investigate our own notions and perceptions
thereof to connect the theory and practice. Students in this class will
also participate in a whole-class, semester-long activity. Journaling,
class discussion, class project participation, and writing a final paper
will serve as forms of evaluation for this class. Prerequisite detail:
CS 0194 Env. Ed.: Foundations and Inquiries (preferred). If the student
has not take CS 0194, they must have taken an education course and a
course on Critical Pedagogy or Critical Theory or receive Permission of
the Instructor.

NOTE: there are prereqs but student should contact me if they have
course experience that is different than what is described but they
believe would count.

- Tim

--
Timothy D. Zimmerman
Visiting Assistant Professor of Cognition and Education
e - tzimmerman at hampshire.edu