Divest Smith College Vigil for Climate Justice: THIS Thursday 4:30pm

Divest Smith College divestsmithcollege at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 23:58:31 EST 2017

Hey New Leaf listserv,

We hope this email finds you well. Given your mission statement and your
work in bringing environmental justice/environmental awareness to
Hampshire, we hope that you can stand in solidarity with us.

After four years of organizing, we have quietly watched Smith College stall
from giving us a straight answer on our request for full divestment of the
$100+ million they have invested in the fossil fuel industry.

This Thursday, March 2nd, Divest Smith College plans to begin our
preliminary escalations to demand that Smith College fully divest its
endowment.

We are presenting to the Board of Trustees where we will present our
updated requests from Smith College. Our requests of the Board of Trustees
are…

   -

   A public report and recommendation on fossil fuel divestment by April 1st
   -

   If this report does not come out by April 1st (for any reason), we will
   take that as a no and we plan to escalate our campaign.

Other members of Divest Smith College will be holding a vigil outside the
Campus Center from approximately 4:30-5:30 p.m.

This vigil is dedicated to those who have been and will be displaced in
times of climate change.

New Leaf friends, it would be great to have you stand in solidarity with us
in our movement. We’d love to have some of your members be present at our
vigil. This is the first step that we are taking to make Smith College
accountable - to put their money where their mouth is. Your support in this
would be instrumental in showing Smith College that there is student power.

Thanks so much for your time. Hope to see you there.

In solidarity,

Sarina Vega

Smith College '19

Divest Smith College