[Newleaf] Fwd: Speaking engagement/MA to ban fracking

ks12 at hampshire.edu ks12 at hampshire.edu
Thu Jan 24 13:30:40 EST 2013

----- Forwarded message from Sherridl2004 <sherridl2004 at aol.com> -----
    Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 17:41:59 -0500 (EST)
    From: Sherridl2004 <sherridl2004 at aol.com>
Subject: Fwd: Speaking engagement/MA to ban fracking
      To: reneandsusan at comcast.net, ks12 at hampshire.edu, ecantarow at gmail.com

Ellen Cantarow and I have been speaking about bringing a well known
speaker in for a talk on fracking.  I heard from Dr. Ingraffea today -
he could speak on the evening of Feb. 14 and the morning of Feb. 15.

Dr. Ingraffea is held in very high esteem by anti-fracking activists
(or fractivists), especially for his study on the environmental
damages of fracking,  which showed that fracking is worse than any
other fuel (including coal) for dangerous greenhouse gases.  The two
links below are just a few of the many articles you will find on Dr.
Ingraffea (one of which is his Cornell page and the other is an
article written by Ellen):

http://truth-out.org/news/item/13724-meet-anthony-ingraffea-from-industry-insider-to-implacable-fracking-opponent
http://www.cee.cornell.edu/people/profile.cfm?netid=ari1

I am in the process of writing professors in the 5 college area about
sponsoring Dr. Ingraffea.  UMass has an environmental studies dept.
that I am writing and Rene will contact Michael Klare at Hampshire.

What I need from the colleges include:  can we get 5 college
consortium funding to pay for his expenses and an honorarium in this
short of time?  Rene, please ask Klare if you are able to contact him
and I will ask UMass.  The best possible schedule would be UMass,
large auditorium on the evening of the 14th and a 2nd speaking
engagement at Hampshire and possibly other colleges.

Thanks for all of your help - let me know what happens.

Sherri
695-5903