[Newleaf] Jones Library display

Roger Guzowski rguzowski at fivecolleges.edu
Thu Nov 11 09:56:32 EST 2010

I have been talking with John Root from the Town of Amherst solid Waste advisory committee.  They are interested in putting together a recycling display to put up in the Jones Library.

He is wondering if this is something that any Hampshire College students might be interested in helping with.

John and I discussed something that focuses on the basics of what can and cannot be recycled in town (using/incorporating the info from the Springfield MRF where they send their stuff http://www.springfieldmrf.org/11x17recycling_poster.pdf - ideally combining it somehow with the existing info from the town of Amherst http://www.amherstma.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=1214.  I love the graphics on the new MRF info but don't think that it sufficiently emphasizes the two separate bins - one for paper and one for bottles & cans - whereas the town brochure does that well but the other info isn't nearly as well done).

Were thinking this could also include some info about other non-traditional recyclables from the Town's AtoZ recycling & disposal guide (http://www.amherstma.gov/index.aspx?NID=538)

Ideally I think the town would like to see this display go up sometime near America Recycles Day on November 15th.  I don't believe this will be a "formal" ARD event but I think they would like to take advantage of any extra public attention that ARD generates.  (I will try to avoid too much editorializing but for those who aren't familiar, ARD is now a formal program of Keep America Beautiful.)

If anyone has graphic arts skills or bulletin board layout skills that you would like to lend to this effort, please let me know or contact John Root directly at jroot at comcast.net

Roger Guzowski
Five College Recycling Manager
cell:  413-658-5558