[Newleaf] RecycOlympics?

Roger Guzowski rguzowski at fivecolleges.edu
Fri Feb 26 11:44:31 EST 2010

Hi all,

Since I coordinate both RecycOlympics at Smith and the Residence Hall Recycling Challenge at Amherst, I can probably provide some insight.

Both are derivations (as is the national RecycleMania competition) of the monitoring system that I first started doing at UMASS almost 20 years ago when I used to run the recycling operation for UMASS housing services.  If you'll forgive the gun references, what we found is that when we did the traditional shot-gunning of recycling info to the entire campus, it tended to only be received by the "already-converted" (for lack of a better term) folks who needed the info the least.  Monitoring let us better sniper the information to the folks who needed it most, and let us target the message to the particular group we need to talk to (this is less of an issue at Hampshire, but at a school like UMASS, how you effectively tailor the message in a big tower in Southwest is very different than how you would tailor it in the smaller halls in Northeast).

We have had some difficulty over the years implementing this system at Hampshire because of trying to reconcile the different housing areas (mods vs. Merrill and Dakin), but I would be open to trying again.  Realistically, it is very late in the year to try to run a competition, but I would be very interested in trialing something similar this spring to see what we get for results (to help us see where to better target educational efforts), and then roll it out into more of an actual competition for next fall or next spring.

Please let me know if this is something New Leaf is interested in.

Roger Guzowski
Five College Recycling Manager
cell:  413-658-5558
rguzowski at fivecolleges.edu