[Jewish] Fwd: [Judnes-friends] TUES NOV 6 Teach In | Hate Before and After Pittsburgh: Anti-Semitism, Racism, and White Nationalism in Contemporary America

Rachel Rubinstein rrHACU at hampshire.edu
Tue Oct 30 18:09:54 EDT 2018

Dear all,

See below and feel free to spread the word.

Best,

Rachel

---
Rachel Rubinstein
Professor of American Literature and Jewish Studies
Amherst MA 01002
413.559.5821

 		[Judnes-friends] TUES NOV 6 Teach In | Hate Before and After
Pittsburgh: Anti-Semitism, Racism, and White Nationalism in Contemporary
America

		DATE:
 		2018-10-30 17:56

		FROM:
 		Judaic & Near Eastern Studies <jne at judnea.umass.edu>

		TO:
 		John Hird <jhird at sbs.umass.edu>, Julie Hayes <jhayes at hfa.umass.edu>,
Maureen Turner <maureenturne at umass.edu>, Alasdair Roberts
<asroberts at umass.edu>, "arabicstudents at judnea.umass.edu"
<arabicstudents at judnea.umass.edu>,
"externaldepartmentannouncements at judnea.umass.edu"
<externaldepartmentannouncements at judnea.umass.edu>,
"hebrewstudents at judnea.umass.edu" <hebrewstudents at judnea.umass.edu>,
"judaicfaculty at judnea.umass.edu" <judaicfaculty at judnea.umass.edu>,
"judaicfriends at judnea.umass.edu" <judaicfriends at judnea.umass.edu>,
"judaicstudents at judnea.umass.edu" <judaicstudents at judnea.umass.edu>,
"judnes-fac at judnea.umass.edu" <judnes-fac at judnea.umass.edu>,
"judnes-friends at judnea.umass.edu" <judnes-friends at judnea.umass.edu>,
"judnes-ugrad at judnea.umass.edu" <judnes-ugrad at judnea.umass.edu>,
"mideaststudents at judnea.umass.edu" <mideaststudents at judnea.umass.edu>,
"neareasternfaculty at judnea.umass.edu"
<neareasternfaculty at judnea.umass.edu>

HATE BEFORE AND AFTER PITTSBURGH:

_Anti-Semitism, Racism, and White Nationalism in Contemporary America_

Tuesday, Nov 6, 4pm

Bernie Dallas Room, Goodell Hall

We find ourselves at a deeply troubling point in our history where
anti-Semitism, racism and all forms of bigotry have infected our
mainstream social discourse. Acts of hate motivated by anti-Semitism
have been rising in recent years from swastikas defacing property, to
displays of Nazi flags, to the horrific shooting at a Pittsburgh
synagogue, the Tree of Life Congregation.

A panel of faculty from across campus will highlight the particularities
of rising anti-Semitism and link it to broader challenges of minority
groups in the America at the present moment.

This Teach-in will provide the context we need to understand the world
around us and the importance of fostering a climate of tolerance and
inclusion on our campus.

Presented by Department of Judaic and Near Eastern Studies and the
Institute for Holocaust, Genocide, and Memory Studies (IHGMS).

CANDELIGHT PROCESSIONAL

A candlelight procession from the Bernie Dallas Room to the Student
Union Building will follow the teach-in. There will be a brief reading
of the names of the dead and the Jewish mourner's kaddish from
5:30-6:00.

DINA NOTO
Administrative Coordinator
Institute for Holocaust, Genocide, and Memory Studies
UMass Amherst
758 North Pleasant Street
 Amherst, MA 01002
413-835-0221