[Jewish] Room in spring course on immigration and turn of the century!

Rachel Rubinstein rrHACU at hampshire.edu
Thu Nov 9 12:03:24 EST 2017

Dear all,

HACU 227: "Beyond the Melting Pot" (TTH 10:30-11:50) has plenty of
space, fulfills distribution (CHL), and will be fun! We look at writing
by immigrants, representations of immigrants in popular culture, and
trace the complex metaphor of the "melting pot" in American culture. We
focus mostly on the 1880-1935 period, but with lots of comparisons to
today. For the final project, I highly encourage creative projects in
the class. Below is the Hub description.

Try it out (and tell your friends)!

"This course seeks to uncover the roots of today's debates about
immigration and American identity in the interactions between Jewish
immigrants of the turn of the 20th century and other immigrant and
ethno-racial communities in the United States in the context of popular
culture and literature. We will begin with debates about race, ethnicity
and immigration in the nineteenth century as they took shape in relation
to a rapidly modernizing American cultural landscape. We will progress
through the twentieth century with particular attention to popular film,
theater, literature, music, and other cultural products, examining how
they represent the dynamics of assimilation vs. pluralism, intermarriage
and secularization, racial and ethnic representations and performance,
cross-cultural alliances and ruptures. This is a relatively intensive
reading and writing course. The semester will culminate in a large-scale
independent project."

--
Rachel Rubinstein
Associate Professor of American Literature and Jewish Studies