[Jewish] You're invited to lunch today with Middlebury College - rsvp needed!

Rabbi Rachel D'vash Schoenfeld rschoenfeld at hampshire.edu
Thu Jan 17 10:51:03 EST 2013

Friends,

Michael Katz, C.V. Starr Professor Emeritus of Russian and East Eur.
Studies, and  Rabbi Ira Schiffer, Associate Chaplain/Rabbi at*Middlebury
College* will be bringing their January Term Class to the Yiddish Book
Center on Thursday, January 17.

We’ve invited them to lunch and hope you will join us for an opportunity
to meet and eat with this group of 28 students and 2 instructors.

The students are from diverse religious, ethnic and national
backgrounds, and are majoring in departments ranging from economics,
political science, history, literature, and  international studies, to
neuroscience.

/This is an opportunity for meeting students from another small, New
England liberal arts college./

This is a casual, non-academic lunch!

*We're meeting at 1pm in saga*.  (And your lunch is on us).

Please let Rachel at rsSA at hampshire.edu know if you’re able to join us.
*Please rsvp asap so we can put you on our list!*

Their class is:

*Jews and the Russian Empire in Crisis*

*_Course Description_*

S. An-sky (1863-1920) was a Russian-Jewish writer, ethnographer, and
social activist. A prolific author, he wrote in two languages in every
imaginable genre: articles, novels, plays, and songs. His best known
work, /The Dybbuk/, immortalizes the legendary figure of a dead soul
that takes possession of a living body to right an injustice suffered
during its lifetime. We will study An-sky’s collected “works”: his
memoirs, fiction (short stories and novel, /The Pioneers/), play,
photographs, artifacts, and folk music. Our goal is a greater
understanding of the cultural borderland between the two worlds, Russian
and Jewish, which An-sky inhabited and portrayed at a time of crisis.

--
Rabbi Rachel D'vash Schoenfeld, Coordinator for Religious Identities and
Political Intersections, Spiritual Life, Hampshire College, 413-559-5282