[Jewish] Singing Shabbat! + UMass workshop!

mbl11 at hampshire.edu mbl11 at hampshire.edu
Thu Apr 11 12:34:25 EDT 2013

Dear all,

Come join the JSU Friday night at 5:30 for Singing Shabbat in the
Merrill Living Room! Services led by Rabbi Rachel, Yoshi and Michelle!
All are welcome!

Stay afterwards for a homemade Shabbat dinner at 6!!

*******************
After Shabbat, UMass is hosting a workshop!!!
More info below:

Judaism, Comic Books and the Mending of the Golden Calf
HOSTED BY RUACH in honor of RUACH SHABBAT!

Friday, April 12th 8:15 pm, UMASS Hillel House

JT Waldman, the a graphic novelist, and an old friend of Rabbi
Rachel's, is coming to UMASS.  Join him after Hampshire Shabbat Dinner!

This workshop will examine the unique place of imagination and the
visual arts within Jewish History. Using Geoffrey Hartman's text "On
the Jewish Imagination," as a springboard, we will explore the role of
creativity within the structure of religion and tradition. After a
retracing of historic points we shall discuss the nature of word and
image and the transgressive implications of their union in comic books.

These events are co-sponsored by: UMass Amherst Hillel, the Combined
Jewish Philanthropies, the Judaic and Near Eastern Studies Department
at the University of Massachusetts, and the Young Adult Division of
the Jewish Federation of Western MA.

Love,

The JSU <3