[Jewish] Yom Kippur is Tuesday evening and Wednesday!

rsSA at hampshire.edu rsSA at hampshire.edu
Mon Sep 24 10:35:54 EDT 2012

Happy New Year - Shannah Tova!

Join us for Yom Kippur Services and a break-fast in the FPH Lounge.

Tuesday evening at 6:30 Kol Nidre
Wednesday morning at 10am Morning Services
Wednesday evening at 7pm Neilah, followed by Break Fast

Here's a note from Leora, about our Yom Kippur events:

Hi there,
Shana tova! I really enjoyed meeting many of you at Rosh hashana services.
I look forward to seeing you again, and meeting new folks who will be
joining us for Yom Kippur.
We will begin the Kol Nidre service at 6:30 pm on Tuesday night. We will
begin Wednesday morning at 10 am and the service will be approximately two
hours. Immediately following the morning service, we will do a short yizkor
(memorial) service. It is traditionally said on Yom Kippur by people who
have lost one or both of their parents; anyone who is remembering a loved
one is invited to join. It will be about 15 minutes, a contemplative
service with poetry, silence, singing, and space to share memories if you
are moved to.
We will end the day with Neila (closing service). It will be about half an
hour. At the end of the fast, just before the heavenly gates are closing,
it is a peaceful, transcendent, and possibly ecstatic part of the service!
It will be followed by a meal to break the fast.
Some folks have the custom of wearing all white on yom kippur, and I invite
you try it! In addition to fasting from food (for folks who are able to do
so and not compromise their health), the tradition is to abstain from
annointing oneself with perfume/lotion/oil, washing, wearing leather, and
having sex on Yom Kippur. If you are not fasting, I invite you to consider
another way of changing your behavior for the day.

Looking forward to seeing you!
Leora