[Jewish] Shabbat Dinner This Friday & High Holidays

rsSA at hampshire.edu rsSA at hampshire.edu
Wed Sep 5 16:19:58 EDT 2012

Hey Everyone,

Welcome back!!!  We've got a lot coming up in the JSU

THIS FRIDAY
Please join us for a Yummy homemade dinner & Jews Shmooze, starting at
5:30.  Come welcome new students & see old friends!  We meet in the
Merrill Living Room.

HIGH HOLIDAYS
Join fellow Hampshire Students to celebrate Rosh Hashannah & Yom Kippur.
Services & meals will all be in the Staff/Faculty lounge in FPH, led
by Rabbinical Student Leora. We will be having Rosh Hashannah dinner,
and a break fast after Yom Kippur. Times and more details to follow.
If you are able to help out during services (greeting/english
reading/etc), please write Leora <leora.abelson at hebrewcollege.edu>
Below is more information from Leora about High Holiday services.

Hope to see you Friday!  Enjoy the beginning of the year!
Rachel

Dear Hampshire Students,

I?m looking forward to meeting many of you as I have the honor of
leading Rosh ha Shana and Yom Kippur services at Hampshire this year.

I wanted to introduce myself, tell you a little about what to expect
at services, and invite you to be in touch 1) to participate in the
service ? there are lots of ways you can, and 2) to let me know if
there are things I can do to make the services more meaningful,
comfortable, or accessible for you.

About me: I grew up in Michigan, and graduated from Wesleyan in 2007.
I lived in Chicago for a while, working/learning/loving and doing a
bunch of activist work, mostly around queer visibility, racism and
classism within the queer community, and Israel/Palestine. I
facilitated a workshop at the Queer Jews and Allies conference at
Hampshire last winter (it was a queer beit midrash with my classmates
Margot and Mónica ? maybe some of you were there!). I?m starting my
second year of rabbinical school at Hebrew College in Boston. I?ve
never led high holy day services before!

About the services: They will include some traditional elements and
some innovative elements. They will probably feel most similar to a
Reform service, although I don?t have training or experience with
Reform services. I am striving to make them as accessible as possible
for people who aren?t familiar with the content of the holidays or the
services. I would LOVE to have your participation (options include
everything from not speaking at all to readings something in English
to chanting something in Hebrew).

Some ways you could participate:

(Unless otherwise indicated, these roles need to be filled on both
Rosh ha Shana and Yom Kippur)

light candles

help out during the Torah service; be a gabbai who checks the Torah
reader?s reading

read torah or haftorah (you can do as few as three verses; I can send
you a recording)

Have an aliya ? say a blessing before and after the torah reading

lift, dress, or carry the Torah

read a poem or reflection in English ? either one I provide or one you bring

chant kol nidre or play it on an instrument (only on yom kippur)

blow shofar

lead tashlich, the ?casting away? ceremony that takes place by the
river on rosh ha shana afternoon

something else you can think of!

Please don?t hesitate to be in touch with questions/concerns/suggestions.

Wishing you a sweet, fulfilling year,

Leora