[Jewish] Tonight: trip to join Amherst Synagogue for Shabbat

Rabbi Rachel D'vash Schoenfeld rschoenfeld at hampshire.edu
Fri Nov 16 14:49:47 EST 2012

Come with us to join the *Synagogue in Amherst* (the JCA) for a soulful
shabbat service and dinner! This service will be led by Rabbi Jacob Fine
who runs a Jewish Farm School.
We'll provide transportation, but let us know if you have a car & are
willing to drive.

Meet at *6pm in the Merrill Living room*. See you soon!

Good Shabbas!

_More info about the shabbat experience tonight (from
http://www.j-c-a.org/services.html)...._

*6:15 PM service* /Farbrengen Friday:/ The tradition of a farbrengen, a
joyous gathering for melody and learning in honor of holy Jewish time,
comes out of Chabad-Lubavitch Hasidism. The JCA's farbrengen begins with
a Kabbalat Shabbat service in which we emphasize the singing of, and
absorption in, Jewish liturgical music over and above excessive words of
orientation and explanation--something that can captivate the spirit
even if you don't happen to be an expert in this music.

Following the service, we have a potluck supper, and as we sit around
sharing our Shabbat meal, we sing /zemirot/ and /niggunim/, (songs and
wordless melodies) and invite people to offer words of Torah and wisdom,
and maybe even explore other ways to experience our creativity in
celebration of Shabbat.

The address of JCA is (if you want to meet us there): 742 Main St,
Amherst, MA.
--
Rabbi Rachel D'vash Schoenfeld, Coordinator for Religious Identities and
Political Intersections, Spiritual Life, Hampshire College, 413-559-5282