[Jewish] [Mindful Torah] Poetic Commentary on Parshat Be'haalotekha

Rabbi Steven Nathan mindfultorah at gmail.com
Fri May 28 18:12:37 EDT 2010

This week's parashah is Be'haalotekha (Numbers/Be'midbar 8:1-12:16). At
the end of the last parashah, God was described as speaking to Moses
from between the wings of the cherubim (angelic/animal beings too
difficult to describe right now) that hovered over the Ark of the
Covenant. This occurred immediately following the completion of the
Mishkan/ portable desert sanctuary. In the opening line of
Be'haalotekha, God continues the conversation and tell Moses to
instruct his brother Aaron, the Kohen Gadol/High Priest concerning his
ascent to kindle the lights of the seven-branch menorah. Hence the name
Be’haalotekha, meaning “when you ascend.”

Rabbis and commentators through the ages have discussed the symbolism
of the menorah as representing the light of the Divine. In addition,
the Kabbalists/mystics imagined that the seven branches of the menorah
represented the seven lower sefirot/divine emanations that human beings
can experience in this world through their actions and spiritual
practice.

Light as a representation of God's presence is also found in this
particular parashah in the image of the fire enshrouded in a pillar of
cloud that hovered over the Mishkan as a sign of God's presence.
According to the text, the fire/presence of God would be seen within a
cloud over the Mishkan by day and simply as fire by night, which is
when Aaron would kindle the menorah. When the cloud/fire would lift
that was the signal to the people that it was time for the community to
move on. When the cloud would again descend, the people knew that God
was “dwelling” in their midst and so they would stop and set up camp.
Then they would wait for the cloud to lift again and the command from
Moses to continue their march through the desert.

The pillar of cloud/fire, the conversation between God and Moses, as
well as Aaron's ascent to light the menorah, can be seen as
representing the divine-human partnership. Moses was able to "hear"
God's voice directly from between the angelic wings, Aaron was able to
bring the light of the Divine to the people by lighting the menorah,
and the people experienced God’s presence through the cloud and fire.
The poetic commentary that follows builds upon this premise. I hope
that you find it meaningful and always welcome any comments or
questions that you might have.
Shabbat Shalom,Steven
The Ascent
I Aaron ascend to light God’s lamps an overwhelming responsibility
Moses my brother hears God’s voice from betweenthe wings of cherubim
God speaks to him not to me
whyis this soI questionyetI still I ascend I light God’s lamps
illuminating the sanctuaryGod’s house my housemy soulour soul
I see the light Stillhe hears what I wishI couldthe Voice
speaksonlytohim
I cannot herestillI do see God’s lightenabling othersto see it
lighting the lamps the glow increases piercing my soul their warmth
penetrating my heart breaking through the jealousy enveloping it
allowing me to still seethe lightwithin all
each eveningas darkness fall fear uncertaintydescends I rise to light
for us all
as flames grow brighter each person sees feels the light surrounding
them love strength peace serenitymajesty eternity wholenessher presence
shekhinah glorious divine holy light filling us with abundance
outside the tent all can see cloud and fire God’s presencestanding
where we arein awe of the Presencetrembling with fear and loveopening
our heartsto compassion mercy divinity humanity
in daytimeGod’s light is enshroudedwithin a pillar of cloudstillwe
knowwe feelthe Presence
at nightGod’s presence burnsa pillar of fireflames searing
soulmindheartinfusing us withthe Presence
fire ismore easily seen feared respected
clouds of mist blur vision fog the mindblock the waysoften the
intensitythen fire returns again burning it awayso we can seemore
clearly truth reality Godthe Presenceof which we are a partwe need
bothwe need balancefire and cloudcomplimentary opposites
we all must learn to seethe fire within the cloudthe cloud within the
firethe tranquility within chaosthe serenity within uncertainty all is
onethe not-quite-darkness-not-quite-lightunknowable illuminating
Presence infusing every moment
within our tentsour bodiesour homesour sanctuarieseach nightwe ascend
as oneGod’s partnerslight the lamps in that moment we are Moses trying
to discern the voice the message surrounded by not quite angelic
beingsstriving seeking together we are Aaronlighting the lamps with our
actions bringing God’s light into our tent into the universeOur
compassion justice mercy feed the fire within brings the Presence into
the world lends clarity to a clouded world bringing the reality of the
presence the truth of the present Into our lives allowing us all to
continue the journey
Moses and Aarontwo brothers one essenceexperiencing showing others
divinitydifferent yet the same alone yet not fire and cloudday and
nightsight and soundbody and soultogetherinseparableonewithinGod

--
Posted By Rabbi Steven Nathan to Mindful Torah at 5/28/2010 06:12:00 PM