[Jewish] [Mindful Torah] Psalm for Tuesday: Psalm 82, Verse 5

Rabbi Steven Nathan mindfultorah at gmail.com
Tue May 18 00:16:47 EDT 2010

They know nothing, they understand nothing. They walk about in
darkness; all the foundations of the earth are shaken.
The ego and the forces in the world try to separate us and make us
believe that we are alone, self-sufficient and have no need to think
beyond ourselves. They try to convince us that they know the truth,
when in reality they known nothing.
But these "forces", and those human beings who allow themselves to fall
into the trap of the ego (which is all of us various times in our
lives), really do not understand the nature of existence. They do not
understand that "going it alone" and "rugged individualism" run counter
to the reality of existence.
And so, led by the ego, we walk around in darkness, unable to see the
truth of what is in front of us. We may be able to see the physical
forms, but the essence of the universe is hidden from us. We spend our
days in utter futility chasing after self-gratification and fulfillment
so that we eventually become so wrapped up in ourselves that it seems
as if there is no turning back.
When this happens, it is as if all the foundations of the earth are
shaken. For the foundations of the earth, the foundations of existence,
are based in the truth of unity. That truth is the oneness of all and
the existence of the Divine flow of compassion, love and holiness that
animates our bodies through the soul within each of us. When we deny
this reality, then we are all standing on shaky ground prone to fall at
any moment.
When we acknowledge the reality of Oneness, the ground beneath may
still be shaky, as uncertainty is unavoidable in life. However, we know
that in those moments of uncertainty we will not be stumbling in the
dark. Instead, we will know that we are supported in those moments. The
Divine, as made manifest in our fellow human beings, will be there to
guide and support us at every turn.

--
Posted By Rabbi Steven Nathan to Mindful Torah at 5/18/2010 12:16:00 AM