[Jewish] [Mindful Torah] Commentary on Parshat Matot-Masei

Rabbi Steven Nathan mindfultorah at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 16:42:13 EDT 2010

I was looking through some past divrei torah (Torah commentaries) and
discovered this one from four years ago. Though the situation in Israel
and the Palestinian territories has changed much since then, I believe
that the message of this d'var torah still holds true today. Let us
pray that the time of peace will arrive and commentaries like this will
no longer be necessary.
Shabbat Shalom,
Steven
Commentary on Matot-Masei 5766 (2006)
This week we conclude the reading of the book of Be'midbar/Numbers with
the double parashah/portion of Matot-Masei (30:2-36:13). In Parshat
Matot we read of the laws given to the Israelites concerning the making
of vows, as well as a description of the war against the Midianites. It
concludes with Moses resolving a request by the tribes of Gad and
Reuben to live on the "other side of the Jordan river"which is
permitted.

Masei recounts the forty years of the journeys of the Israelites (masei
b'nei yisrael) from Egypt to the Promised Land. Moses then provides
instructions for conquering the land, defining its borders and dividing
it among the tribes.

How ironic that we read of the conquering and division of the land, as
well as of a war against an enemy at a time when the State of Israel is
engaged in a war to protect its borders and define not only those
borders, but the meaning of its existence.

In preparing to write this d'var torah I have made a conscious decision
to stay away from politics as much as possible. I will say that I
believe Israel must defend itself against those who wish for nothing
more than its destruction, among which I include Hezbollah and Hamas.

However, I would like to create a more spiritual response to what is
obviously a difficult and painful situation. For regardless of what I
say, more blood will be spilled, of soldiers, civilians and terrorists.
Both sides will continue to know death, destruction and hatred no
matter what I write. However, what we must keep in mind as we watch the
events unfold on the screen and in our hearts are the divine-human
qualities of compassion, openness and acceptance. For these are the
only qualities that can ever lead us to a true peace, whether in our
times or for future generations. As a way of demonstrating this I would
like to relate to you something that I experienced this past Shabbat in
Jerusalem.

Last Shabbat was the final day of my 12-day trip to Israel, one that
was marked by many high points, as well as by the outbreak of war in
Lebanon and the continued fighting in Gaza. That Shabbat I decided to
walk through the streets of the Baka and German Colony neighborhoods of
Jerusalem one last time, ending up at one of my favorite spots, Gan
ha'Paamon, the Liberty Bell Garden. This beautiful garden, situated
between the German Colony and the area around the King David hotel was
built with money donated by North American Jews. It contains not only
of gardens, but playgrounds, picnic areas and basketball courts. Not to
mention a replica of the Liberty Bell! As I walked through the garden
last Shabbat I was reminded of why it is one of my favorite spots in
Israel. For as I entered the garden I first saw a group of young Jewish
men and women, some wearing more traditional (though not "ultra
orthodox") Shabbat garb, others in shorts and sleeveless shirts, all
sitting together sharing Shabbat lunch, laughing, singing, and
eventually playing a game of touch football. They were clearly enjoying
the peace of Shabbat.

Not far from them, there sat an Israeli Arab family from one of the
nearby villages. They were preparing a feast for themselves while
numerous children ran around the garden or road their bikes on one of
its many paths. Not far from them was another Arab family enjoying an
afternoon of leisure.

As I watched these Arabs and Jews sharing the same space I took notice
of joyous, raucous music that was being played through a nearby sound
system. I soon found that these sounds emanated from a gathering of
about 30 Ethiopian Jews beneath a grape arbor in the garden. They were
eating, laughing and dancing together to the beat of their native
music, many of them wearing traditional Ethiopian garb. As I watched
them, I noticed an older Jewish couple, the man wearing a
kippah/yarmulke and the woman a traditional head scarf, walk by, stop
and smile, before continuing on their Shabbat afternoon walk.

Not far from there, both Jews and Arabs were playing pick-up games of
basketball, children played on the playground and other, such as
myself, simply enjoyed taking in the beauty of the day, the park, and
what was happening within its confines.

As I sat there I could not help but wonder why all of Israel could not
be like that park. Of course, I knew the answer to that question all
too well, but that did not prevent me from asking. Why, I wondered,
couldn't everyone stop focusing on their differences and instead focus
on their similarities. And yet, I knew that this was the idealist
within me speaking, for that was not what was happening in the park at
all. For in reality, each of the groups was interacting only with its
own members and not with members of the other groups. Of course, they
recognized the existence of the other, and this was not a problem, but
true interaction was not occurring (though in past visits to Jerusalem
I have seen this occur). However, even peaceful co-existence without
interaction is better than hostility and violence. Would that the
parties in the current conflict could even reach that point!

But what is it that prevents this from happening? Certainly there must
be an answer somewhere that is realistic and not fantasy? As I pondered
this question I remembered that what was in the center of this oasis of
peace in the middle of a country and region filled with war: a replica
of the Liberty Bell! What a strange thing to find in Jerusalem!
However, we must remember that written on the Liberty Bell is a verse
from Vayikra/Leviticus "Proclaim liberty throughout the land and to all
the inhabitants thereof."

This verse precedes the verses concerning the release of Hebrew slaves
every 50th year (see Parshat Behar). However, in order to connect the
essence of this verse to what I witnessed in Israel, as well as to the
current situation, one needs to look at the word that is commonly
translated as "liberty." The Hebrew word `d'ror' is more accurately
translated as "release" and it is part of the greater theme of
redemption found in that passage of the Torah. This redemption involved
the return of the land to the tribes that possessed it at the time it
was conquered by Joshua, as well as the release of Israelite slaves
from their indentured servitude. In short, it was an effort to release
in order to restore balance to the system (at least as defined by the
Judeocentric text of the Torah).

This twin concepts of release/redemption involves the ability to let
go. The parties involved must release the story line that something or
someone "belongs" to them. Possession does not matter any more
according to the Torah. What matters is the moment, which is one of
release, freedom, and redemption. It is a moment when we let go of our
attachments and simply let things be as they were "meant to be" (again
I realize that this is being defined in a specific way by the Torah,
but we can extend it to a more universal perspective without much
effort).

In a way this is the essence of Shabbat as well. I also believe that on
some deep level, probably unknown to those present, it was the essence
of what occurred in the Liberty Bell Garden. At least for those minutes
or hours, those present were able to let go of their individual stories
of hurt or hatred. They were able to release themselves from the
tyrannies of their stories and simply enjoy God's creation. What
happened after those hours in the park I cannot tell you, but what
happened during that time was indeed a lesson for all of us.

Ultimately, this release from excessive attachment to history, to pain,
to one's story and to the sense that "this is mine and I am right" can
bring about peace and liberty. It allows us to open our hearts to the
pain of others and feel compassion for all of creation, not only for
ourselves. How long it will take to bring that vision to fruition I
cannot say. Realistically, I doubt that it will happen during my
lifetime, though I hope and pray that I am wrong.

Yet, for those few moments on a Shabbat afternoon in Jerusalem, the
holy city of peace that has too often known hatred and violence, I
witnessed what may perhaps have been a first step, no matter how small,
towards this ultimate goal. And if each step on the journey is in
itself a destination, then that step, no matter how small it may seem,
can have cosmic significance.

Am I dreaming? Perhaps. Is this a fantasy? It may well be. But without
dreams and fantasies it is impossible for us to work towards creating
new realities for us and for our world.

Over 100 years ago Theodore Herzl, the founder of modern Zionism
said "If you will it, it is no dream." His dream was of a homeland for
the Jews. But ours must be that all peoples will have a homeland and
know peace, freedom and redemption.

If we will it, it is no dream. But we must also remember that if we do
not dream it, it can never become a reality!

Shabbat Shalom.

--
Posted By Rabbi Steven Nathan to Mindful Torah at 7/02/2010 04:42:00 PM