[Jewish] [Mindful Torah] Psalm Before Shabbat (for Friday): Psalm 93, vs. 1

Rabbi Steven Nathan mindfultorah at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 18:28:56 EDT 2010

Your throne was established long ago; you are from all eternity.

I'm sorry I did not get to the psalm for Friday until now, but I have
been busy preparing for a teaching weekend in Keene, NH that begins
tonight. Since Shabbat is almost here, I will keep today's comment
short and sweet.

God's presence is one of the few, if not the only, constant in our
lives. All else is impermanent and temporary, but God's presence is
eternal. Of course, how we experience that presence and what it means
to us often changes based on what is happening in our life or simply in
the moment.

The idea of God's throne can be a problematic one, as it represents an
image of God that no longer resonate with me (God as the old man on the
throne ). However, just as the throne is the seat of power, so too God
is the source of power in my life. It is not that God rules over me
like a king or queen, makes my decisions for me or causes things to
happen. Rather, God's presence is the source of life, the source of
love, the source of all that was, is and shall be. Shabbat Shalom.

--
Posted By Rabbi Steven Nathan to Mindful Torah at 4/30/2010 06:28:00 PM