No subject

Mon Apr 12 10:43:21 EDT 2010

l, human beings were then split, as it were, into beings consisting  o=
f a corporeal, physical element and a spiritual  element. The spiritual, re=
presented by the garment of light, still exists but it  is covered by the g=
arment of skin only to "shine through" at specific  moments.<br />
Sefat Emet</i>, Moses'  face glowed upon returning from Mt Sinai. For after=
 encountering God "face to  face, his inner light was able to shine through=
 was ready to achieve that state at Sinai,  but that they (read: we) did no=
t remain on that high rung of the spiritual ladder  for very long.<br />
Due to human nature, we all experience various degrees of spiritual  afflic=
tion.&nbsp; What happens when we are afflicted spiritually is that the  lig=
ht is unable to shine through. Normally this spiritual light is able to shi=
ne  through the skin through the pores. However, </span> <span style=3D"fon=
the ancient  vernacular of the Jewish people) as '<i>segiru</i>/closing.' T=
he <i>tzara'at </i>represents a  closing of the pores and a closing off of =
the inner spiritual nature of the human  being due<br />
to sin. And so, the Torah prescribes that the sufferer must be examined and=
 then  purified by Aaron and his sons, who are the arbiters of holiness and=
 "purity" on behalf of God.</span> believed that "sin clogs  up those pores=
, so that 'darkness covers the earth' (Isaiah 60:2)" and that  is why the s=
kin affliction of  <span style=3D"font-size: small;"><br />
Though this text still maintains the duality of the spiritual and the physi=
cal realms,&nbsp; it still has a profound message for us today. For the tex=
t reminds us  that we all possess an inner spiritual core. It is an essenti=
al piece of being  human. It is the divinity within and a reminder that we =
are all one with divinity. It is not that the spiritual piece is something =
that we must seek to  find "out there in the world." Rather, it is somethin=
g that we must seek to  discover within ourselves. The skin hides this spir=
itual self, but it also serves  to protect it. The spirit, being of Divine =
origin, is powerful and yet  fragile. <br />
The power of its light can blind us, as well as others, which is why we  Mo=
ses wore a veil over his face after the Sinai encounter. Yet, when used  pr=
operly our spirit, or soul, can warm and enlighten us. It is something that=
  must be treated with respect and kept in balance. According to the Sefat =
Emet,  we will<br />
not all be able to have our spiritual light shine through until the  Messia=
nic Era arrives. That is when, metaphorically, the whole world will be  pre=
pared to accept God's "sovereignty."<br />
Until that time arrives, we must do our best to maintain a sense of  spirit=
ual balance that will allow the light to shine through. This is not done by=
  denying our corporeal nature, but by realizing that it is through the use=
 of  body and mind that our inner divine spirit is made manifest in the wor=
ld. We can  in some way radiate a modified light of God from within by acti=
ng, thinking, and speaking in a holy way. However, in the times when we fin=
d it is  difficult to act in a holy way, in the moments when we instead all=
ow our ego, our  desires and our petty jealousies take control, and then we=
 become closed off to the  divine spirit within.</span> <span style=3D"font=
-size: small;"><br />
Judaism provides us many ways for us to re-open ourselves so that we can  f=
ind balance, bring holiness into the world and allow our light to shine  fo=
rth.&nbsp; Through prayer, meditation, study, acts of </span> <span style=
> tzedakah</i>/righteousness we can regain that inner balance, return to ou=
r  divine source and allow the inner light of the soul to shine through. Th=
at is  how we "purify" ourselves, in contemporary terms.<br />
Doing the spiritual work needed to open ourselves up to God&nbsp;  begins b=
y simply paying attention to where we are in the moment. It requires  nothi=
ng more than noticing our thoughts and feelings and accepting them as part =
of  who we are. That way, we can hopefully avoid reacting to the thoughts a=
nd  feelings we might normally label as "negative." For it is the reactions=
 to those  thoughts that pull us away from the Divine and get us caught up =
in our ego. This is what  closes us off to the divine light of the spirit.<=
/span> <span style=3D"font-size: small;"><br />
Instead of reacting out of habit, we simply need to act with intention.  We=
 need to notice those thoughts and feelings that we are tempted to label as=
  "negative" or "bad" and wait for them to dissipate. We don't need to give=
 them any  more energy than that. Then, once they have dissipated,as they e=
ventually  will, (even if they do try to come back a few times) we can be i=
n the present  and allow ourselves to act with intention and in a holy way.=
If this doesn't work, and we allow ourselves to be drawn in by our ego,  an=
d our tendency to judge our thoughts, ourselves, or others, then we simply =
 wait until we notice this. At that moment, we will recognize that we have =
closed  ourselves off to the inner light of the spirit. Instead of berating=
 ourselves for  that, we need to do what I described above. We simply need =
to acknowledge who  and where we are at that moment, let the thoughts and f=
eelings pass and know  that at each moment we have the ability to open ours=
elves up to God and our  inner Divine light. That is the beauty of acknowle=
dging that the light is always in  us, even when everything seems dark. It =
reminds us that the darkness will not  last forever and that we simply need=
 to live our lives one moment at a time.  For if we do that then we cannot =
help but know that the moment will arrive when  we will once again open our=
selves up to God. Patience is the key to unlocking our  souls and opening o=
ur hearts so that the inner light will shine forth.</span> <span style=3D"f=
ont-size: small;"><br />
With the blessing of patience, and paying attention to all that unfolds  in=
 each moment, each of us can eventually bring God's light into the world. I=
n  that way we can bring healing and purification to ourselves and to the w=
orld. May  we use this Shabbat - and every day - to work on opening ourselv=
es up so that  the light of the spirit can shine through, bringing peace, s=
alvation and wholeness  to our</span> <span style=3D"font-size: small;"><br=
 />
lives and to our fractured world.</span></div><div style=3D"font-family: Ge=
orgia,&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif;"><br />
=3D"font-family: Georgia,&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif;"><span style=3D=
"font-size: small;">Steven</span></div>
Posted By  Rabbi Steven Nathan  to  <a href=3D"http://mindfultorah.blogspot=
.com/2010/04/light-within-commentary-on-parshat.html">Mindful Torah</a>  at=
  4/16/2010 06:53:00 AM
------=_Part_1906_117007243.1271415184548--