[Jewish] Mishnah epec

tal tal at ornia.hampshire.edu
Wed Sep 9 09:29:54 EDT 2009

Hey all,
Welcome back to Hampshire!  This semester I will be facilitating an EPEC
on the Mishnah.  EPEC is the experimental program in education and
community.  Students can teach classes or have group independent
studies.  They are usually very rewarding.
Mishnah is an ancient Jewish text that was an attempt to codify Jewish
law and thought.  This EPEC will explore one of the sub-books of the
Mishnah, the tractate of Baba Metzia.  We will attempt to understand the
Mishnah in its own timeframe, ie. what was happening in their world for
them to write like this.
Currently, we are scheduled for Wednesday afternoons from 3 to 5
(starting on the 16).  I am working on getting faculty accreditation, so
that it can count for credit.
No knowledge of Hebrew required, although some knowledge of Hebrew will
allow for a more thorough study.  If you are interested, please email me.