[Jewish] Welcome back! Some upcoming events on Queer Spirituality and Religion

Steven Nathan snathan at hampshire.edu
Thu Jan 29 16:39:27 EST 2009

Welcome Back to those who were gone for January - and for those who just
took a little break after Jan. term,

I know it's early, but I wanted to let you know about 2 great programs
coming up in a couple weeks:
*
Wednesday, Feb. 11th: Panel Discussion: "How Different Religions Address
LGBTQ Experiences"
7:00 pm, Memorial Hall Lounge, UMass*

Panelists who identify both as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or
queer (LGBTQ) and as a member of a particular religious community will
speak about the intersections of their religious and sexual/gender
identities. They will share the tensions they have experienced and how
they have reconciled their faith with their LGBTQ identity.

Panelists include:
-Faisal Alam, Founder of Al-Fatiha, an international LGBT Muslim
organization
-David Dunn Bauer, Rabbi of the Jewish Community of Amherst
-Kathleen Boucher, Researcher on Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Catholics
-Chris McMillan, Co-Director of the Multicultural Resource Center,
Amherst College
-Winnie Nazarko, Teacher at the Insight Meditation Society, Barre, MA

Free and open to the public.

*Thursday, Feb. 12th: Faisal Alam, "Hidden Voices: The Lives of LGBT
Muslims"
7:00 pm, Main Lecture Hall, Franklin Patterson Hall, Hampshire College*

"The Lives of LGBT Muslims" aims to highlight the many struggles and
challenges facing sexual and gender minorities within the Muslim world
and to examine the complex intersection of Islam, sexuality and gender.
With more than 1.5 billion followers Islam is considered to be the
fastest growing religion in the world today, yet the Western world
continues to view it with skepticism and uncertainty. While aiming to
dispel common stereotypes and myths about Islam, this presentation will
also explore the history of the queer Muslim movement in the United
States and the suppression of LGBT rights around the world under the
guise of the so-called "war on terror."

Free and open to the public.

Hope to see youth there!  Please contact me if you have any questions.

Steve Nathan

Steven P. Nathan

Campus Rabbi and

Interim LGBTQ Advisor

Hampshire College

Office of Spiritual Life -- Box SA

Amherst, MA 01002

Phone: (413) 559-6234

Fax: (413) 559-5663

snathan at hampshire.edu <mailto:snathan at hampshire.edu>

"The more deeply immersed I became in the thinking of the prophets, the
more powerfully it became clear to me what the lives of the prophets
sought to convey: that morally speaking there is no limit to the concern
one must feel for the suffering of human beings. It also became clear to
me that in regard to cruelties committed in the name of a free society,
some are guilty, all are responsible."

-Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel