[Jewish] TONIGHT: Discussion on Israel for members of the Hampshire Jewish Community

Steven Nathan snathan at hampshire.edu
Tue Feb 17 13:05:25 EST 2009

A FINAL REMINDER

Dear Jewish Students, Faculty and Staff:

As I wrote to you before, during Jan term we had an open forum on Gaza
for Jewish members of the Hampshire  community.  This was an opportunity
for Jews on campus to have a safe space to discuss their thought,
feelings and reactions to the war in Gaza, as well as their thought and
feelings about Israel.  Since not everyone was on campus during Jan
term, there will be another discussion on Tuesday February 17 @ 7:30 in
the Merrill Living Room.  This program will focus not only on Israel and
Gaza, but also on reactions to the recent events at Hampshire.  For this
reason, I have asked President Hexter to join us at around 8:15 to
answer any questions.  That way we can talk together first before
shifting our focus to a discussion with the President about what's been
happening at Hampshire.

In order to provide safe space for ALL opinions, this program is limited
to Jewish students, staff and faculty.  Please remember that this is an
opportunity for people to talk about their own feelings and thoughts and
NOT to try to convince anyone of who is right or wrong.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS MESSAGE TO ANYONE ON CAMPUS YOU THINK MIGHT BE
INTERESTED, BUT MAY NOT BE ON THE MAILING LISTS.

It is still my hope to have another open conversation for the entire
campus, as has happened before together with SJP, in the future as well.

Shalom/Salaam,
spn

--

Steve Nathan

Steven P. Nathan

Campus Rabbi and

Interim LGBTQ Advisor

Hampshire College

Office of Spiritual Life -- Box SA

Amherst, MA 01002

Phone: (413) 559-6234

Fax: (413) 559-5663

snathan at hampshire.edu <mailto:snathan at hampshire.edu>

"The more deeply immersed I became in the thinking of the prophets, the
more powerfully it became clear to me what the lives of the prophets
sought to convey: that morally speaking there is no limit to the concern
one must feel for the suffering of human beings. It also became clear to
me that in regard to cruelties committed in the name of a free society,
some are guilty, all are responsible."

-Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel