[Jewish] North American Conference on Judaism and Human Rights (pass this on to anyone you think might be interested)

Steven Nathan snathan at hampshire.edu
Mon Sep 8 23:14:27 EDT 2008

Dear Students, Staff and Faculty,

*Time is running out for discounted registration* for the Second North
American Conference on Judaism and Human Rights, December 7-9, 2008.  If
you *register before September 15th* you will not only be able to attend
the Conference at a reduced rate, but you will secure your place at what
promises to be a unique, exciting Conference. NOTE: STUDENTS, SENIOR
CITIZENS AND THOSE WITH LIMITED INCOME WILL CONTINUE TO HAVE A
DISCOUNTED RATE.  Go to www.rhr-na.org to see what the rates are
depending on whether or not you're attending the entire conference.

We have planned four thought provoking-plenaries with high-caliber
presenters and moderators:

On Sunday evening, *Avram Burg*, former speaker of the Knesset, *Paula
Hyman* of Yale University and *Sari Nusseibeh*, President of Al Quds
University will discuss */Zionism, Israel and Human Rights/*. *Kathleen
Peratis*, Board member emerita of Human Rights Watch, will moderate.

On Monday morning hear about */The Abrahamic Religions and the Universal
Declaration of Human Rights/* with *Dr. Arnold Eisen*, Chancellor of the
Jewish Theological Seminary, *Dr. David Gushee*, founder of Evangelicals
for Human Rights and *Imam Yahya Hendi*, founder of Imams for Human
Rights and Dialogue.  *Rabbi Nancy Fuchs-Kreimer*, Director, Religious
Studies Program, Reconstructionist Rabbinical College will be the moderator.

Tuesday morning begins with a challenge to us and our new
administration: */Renewing America's commitment to Human Rights/*.
*Linda Gustitus*, Chair of the National Religious Campaign Against
Torture, *Sammie Moshenberg* of the National Council of Jewish Women and
*Michael Posner*, President of Human Rights First will have a discussion
moderated by *Mary Ann Stein*, President of the Moriah Fund.

The final plenary of the Conference, /*Religious Jew, Secular Zionist:
Thoughts on Jewish Theology and Israel*/, will be a stimulating session
with *Rabbi Arthur Green*, Rector of the Rabbinical School at Hebrew
College.

In addition to these inspiring plenaries are study sessions on Jewish
texts and values related to human rights with leading Jewish scholars
*Rabbi Arik Ascherman*, *Rabbi Amy Eilberg*, *Rabbi Ed Feld*, *Rabbi
Marc Gopin*, *Rabbi Toba Spitzer*, *Rabbi Gordon Tucker*, *Rabbi Melissa
Weintraub* and many more.  There will also be new educational and
liturgical materials on Human rights, as well as opportunities for
communal prayer and song, modeling ways to incorporate human rights
concerns into prayer in your community.

One of the highlights of the Conference is the */Second Raphael Lemkin
Human Rights Awards Dinner and Concert/*, where *Marian Wright Edelman*,
*Peter Edelman* and *Rabbi Gerry Serotta* will be honored for their
outstanding contributions to Human Rights.  Musical sensation *Pharaoh's
Daughter* will perform.  And the Conference opens on Sunday afternoon
with a compelling performance by *Noa Baum* of */A Land Twice
Promised/*, sharing Palestinian and Israeli women's stories.  On Monday
there will be a special luncheon honoring the 20th Anniversary of Rabbis
for Human Rights - Israel.

Join us as we build /K'vod Habriot: A Jewish Human Rights Network/.  Our
first Conference was open to Rabbis, Cantors, and rabbinical students
only.  This conference will include lay people who are committed to
human rights.  Together we will learn how to mobilize communities on
human rights issues in study and training sessions.  To encourage this
we are offering *a special discount for Rabbis and Congregants who
attend together.*

*September 15th* is rapidly approaching.  Don't miss the opportunity to
register for this amazing conference at reduced rates.  Go
to www.rhr-na.org
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001LmDB7jpIybRTUNZ_mypGF6vNWVhsFKWVDLVnIPH5fWIeX3lomBfVacnZEVSCUGmMDMBdtIx2iSMHe7QvKo5M2XlnHOxKLoF6CC1VNl1t6I-27FmAapcqQA==>
to register now.

Steven P. Nathan

Campus Rabbi

Interim LGBTQ Advisor

Hampshire College

Office of Spiritual Life -- Box SA

Amherst, MA 01002

Phone: (413) 559-5282

Fax: (413) 559-5663

snathan at hampshire.edu <mailto:snathan at hampshire.edu>

/"The more deeply immersed I became in the thinking of the prophets, the
more powerfully it became clear to me what the lives of the prophets
sought to convey: that morally speaking there is no limit to the concern
one must feel for the suffering of human beings. It also became clear to
me that in regard to cruelties committed in the name of a free society,
some are guilty, all are responsible."/

/-Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel/