[Jewish] Bring Your Own "Gifts" On Yom Kippur

Steven Nathan snathan at hampshire.edu
Mon Oct 6 22:17:19 EDT 2008

Traditionally, on Yom Kippur, we chant the Avodah service.  Avodah means
worship, and the service recounts the ancient Temple rituals of
sacrifice performed by the priests.  The sacrifices were brought by the
people as an offering before God.  One of the words for the offerings
that were brought was terumah, often translated as "gift."  Rather than
recounting the ancient sacrifices of the Temple in Jerusalem, I would
like to ask that people bring their own "gifts" to share with the
community as part of this service.   You can bring a poem, a song, a
piece of art, a piece of music, or simply yourself.  The idea is that we
will share our gifts with one another as a way of giving our ourselves
to the Divine as part of this holy day.

Services on Yom Kippur morning will begin at 10:00 in the Faculty/Staff
Lounge in FPH.  The Avodah part of the service will take place either
just before we move over to Merrill Living Room at 1:00 (to spend the
afternoon in community) or once we move over there (depending on how
things are running). I look forward to seeing all of you - and your
gifts - on Thursday.

Shanah Tovah - a good year
and
G'mar hatimah tovah - may you be inscribed for good.

Rabbi Steve
--

Steven P. Nathan

Campus Rabbi

Interim LGBTQ Advisor

Hampshire College

Office of Spiritual Life -- Box SA

Amherst, MA 01002

Phone: (413) 559-5282

Fax: (413) 559-5663

snathan at hampshire.edu <mailto:snathan at hampshire.edu>

/"The more deeply immersed I became in the thinking of the prophets, the
more powerfully it became clear to me what the lives of the prophets
sought to convey: that morally speaking there is no limit to the concern
one must feel for the suffering of human beings. It also became clear to
me that in regard to cruelties committed in the name of a free society,
some are guilty, all are responsible."/

/-Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel/