[Jewish] Fwd: Transgender Jews Panel and Community Gathering (and other queer Jewish events)

Steven Nathan snathan at hampshire.edu
Thu Nov 20 13:25:53 EST 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Nehirim: GLBT Jewish Culture & Spirituality*
<Nehirim_GLBT_Jewish_Culture__Spi at mail.vresp.com
<mailto:Nehirim_GLBT_Jewish_Culture__Spi at mail.vresp.com>>
Date: Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 10:33 PM
Subject: Transgender Jews Panel and Community Gathering
To: spn1007 at gmail.com <mailto:spn1007 at gmail.com>

*

*News and Events from Nehirim / November 2008*

Shalom Nehirim!  It was excellent to see so many of you in New York City
two weeks ago for Queer Shabbaton New York 2008.  We were happy to see
many familiar faces, as well as to welcome many newcomers to the Nehirim
community.

In this newsletter, we share with you news of our next two upcoming
events: a November panel in NYC on transgender issues in the Jewish
community, and our January Community Gathering.  Please read on!

  	 Upcoming Events

  NewVoicesTGPanel.jpg

easton mountain.gif

    _Toward a Greater Understanding: Transgender Identity and the Jewish
    Community
    <http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MetatronicsZeekMedia/9881e8ccc7/a18ee2b263/177b9f128a>_

* *

    **

* November 25, 7-9pm at the JCC in Manhattan
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MetatronicsZeekMedia/9881e8ccc7/a18ee2b263/15b9e39f36/catid=1370>
(334 Amsterdam Ave. @76th St.)
*

A panel discussion exploring trans issues within the Jewish community.
How are trans issues reflected in Jewish texts and traditions?  How has
Jewish identity shaped trans experience?  How are trans issues similar
to and different from GLB issues?  How does the trans experience differ
across generations?

Panelists will be Professor Joy Ladin, a trans professor at Yeshivah
University, a trans student involved in Gayava (Columbia/Barnard
Hillel's LGBTQ Jews and Allies group), David Fryer, professor at Drexel
University, and Melissa Simon, Cooperberg-Rittmaster Rabbinical Intern
at Congregation Beth Simchat Torah.  The discussion will be moderated by
Nehirim's own Jase Schwartz.

Panel discussion followed by Q & A and light refreshments.   This event
is free but space is limited.  *Please RSVP to 646-505-5708 or on
facebook
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MetatronicsZeekMedia/9881e8ccc7/a18ee2b263/7d9aac05f0/ref=sb#/event.php?eid=33645454999>.
For more information visit the New Voices website
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MetatronicsZeekMedia/9881e8ccc7/a18ee2b263/851ff5384b>.*

This discussion is being presented by New Voices
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MetatronicsZeekMedia/9881e8ccc7/a18ee2b263/c8d1736111>,
the only independent national magazine for and by Jewish college
students in partnership with the JCC in Manhattan
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MetatronicsZeekMedia/9881e8ccc7/a18ee2b263/b83c320267/catid=1370>,
Gayava:
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MetatronicsZeekMedia/9881e8ccc7/a18ee2b263/252224aa8c/gid=2200495481>Columbia/Barnard
Hillel's LGBTQ Jews and Allies group
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MetatronicsZeekMedia/9881e8ccc7/a18ee2b263/f2a5d235a1/gid=2200495481>
and Nehirim: GLBT Culture and Spirituality
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MetatronicsZeekMedia/9881e8ccc7/a18ee2b263/c098eb0bd6>.

*Nehirim Community Gathering
Building "Sukkat Shalom"
Jan. 9-11, 2009
Easton Mountain, near Albany, NY
*

Registration is now open!  Go to the website
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MetatronicsZeekMedia/9881e8ccc7/a18ee2b263/65421225d4>
for details.

Building on the success of past retreats, this weekend is
an opportunity for those who have previously attended a Nehirim retreat
to come together in a smaller, more relaxed and intimate setting.
Directed by Zvi Bellin, the weekend is a time of heartfelt connection,
soulful spirituality, and also some of the best retreat food available,
not to mention a fireplace and sauna.  This year will focus on creating
and maintaining "Sukkat Shalom," a shelter of peace. How can we deepen
our connection to ourselves and to each other? Uncover the uniqueness
that you bring to Nehirim and how you can share that gift to strengthen
GLBT Jewish living. The retreat is community-led and teaching
opportunities are available; contact Zvi at zvi at nehirim.org
<mailto:zvi at nehirim.org> to get involved.

If you have not come to a Nehirim retreat before, we warmly invite you
to join us at the West or East Coast retreat.  This gathering is not a
full-on retreat, and we are limiting it to people who have joined us
before.

 nyc.jpg

Nehirim introduces its new "Shmita Program" for long-term participants!

Nehirim loves you -- especially those of you who we get to see retreat
after retreat.  We know retreats are expensive, and so we are proud to
announce our own "Shmita" pricing program: *come to six
retreats/shabbatonim and get your seventh one free*!  This is our way of
rewarding our core community, the folks who come back year after year
and have grown with us.  Just like the Biblical sabbatical (shmita) of
sowing your fields for six years and having the seventh year off, after
you pay full price for six retreats, the seventh "year" is free.

The shmita program begins with *2008 *retreats, including Nehirim East
and Nehirim West 2008.  (We're sorry we can't backdate it further -- it
costs too much.)  We're keeping track; when you've come to six retreats,
we'll let you know the next one is on us!

803poetry2.jpg

  Ongoing Local Programs

*/Shabbos Davening /**/and Picnic /*

*/in /**/Golden/**/ Gate/**/ /**/Park/**/!/*

will be taking a break for December, and will resume on the
third Saturday in January.

For more information, email Elana at elanastory at gmail.com
<mailto:elanastory at gmail.com> .

*Save the Dates for Next Spring's Nehirim Retreats*

*The First Annual Nehirim Womens' Retreat
March 20-22, 2009
Isabella Freedman, Falls Village, CT
*Nehirim is proud to announce its first Women's Retreat.  Directed by
Shoshana Jedwab, Nehama Benmoshe, and Chani Getter, this weekend
promises to be full of connection, insight, growth, great food,
laughter, and fun. There will also be children's programming available.
Teachers will include *Miryam Kabakov, Dr. Mara Benjamin, *and more!
Contact Chani at chani at nehirim.org <mailto:chani at nehirim.org> if you'd
like to teach, lead mishpacha, lead ritual, coordinate the childrens
program, or be involved in some other way.  More details are available
online here
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MetatronicsZeekMedia/9881e8ccc7/a18ee2b263/b85a37c112>.
All self-identified women welcome!

*Nehirim West 2009
May 8-10, 2009
Walker Creek Ranch, Petaluma, CA
*

Join 100 queer Jews, partners, and allies for a weekend filled with
culture, spirituality, and community in the beautiful hills of Marin
County.  Nehirim West 2008 was a sold-out success.  Come see why.
Cosponsored by JewishMosaic.  More details are available online here
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MetatronicsZeekMedia/9881e8ccc7/a18ee2b263/692f78a568>.

Also, if you attended last year's retreat and have photos you would be
willing to share for our publicity materials, please send them to
zvi at nehirim.org <mailto:zvi at nehirim.org>.  (Please be sure to get
permission from all of the people in the photos before you send.)  Want
to volunteer?  Have any ideas for discussion groups, or want to lead
one?  Let the retreat director Dev Noily know by emailing
dev at nehirim.org <mailto:dev at nehirim.org>.

*Nehirim East 2009
May 15-17, 2009
Isabella Freedman, Falls Village, CT
*Mark your calendars for the sixth annual Nehirim East Coast retreat.
Teachers this year will include *Rebecca Alpert *(/Like Bread on a Seder
Plate/), *John Stasio* (interfaith gay spirituality activist), *Rabbi
Jacob Staub* and more.   Click here
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MetatronicsZeekMedia/9881e8ccc7/a18ee2b263/c724f54eaf>
for more information

 803genkina3.jpg 	 Befriend Nehirim on your favorite Social Networking
Site!

Are you on Facebook
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MetatronicsZeekMedia/9881e8ccc7/a18ee2b263/dccfaeb95e/gid=2434756231&refurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fs.php%3Fq%3Dnehirim%26init%3Dq>?
How about MySpace
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MetatronicsZeekMedia/9881e8ccc7/a18ee2b263/a81a158428>,
Livejournal
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MetatronicsZeekMedia/9881e8ccc7/a18ee2b263/5c0a4b3a41>,
or Friendster
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MetatronicsZeekMedia/9881e8ccc7/a18ee2b263/dd05620ada>?
Well, now we're there, too. Add Nehirim as a friend on your favorite
social online network to keep in touch with other Nehirim-ers, as well
as to hear about the latest updates, events and Nehirim news. Just click
the links -- we'll see you online!

*Ongoing Nehirim programs*

  linkedhands.jpg

ma'agal.jpg

*Shalshelet: The Nehirim Elder/Youth Program
*directed by Rabbi Jacob Staub

Shalshelet, the Nehirim Elder/Youth Program, directed by Rabbi Jacob
Staub, matches GLBT elders and youth in long-term mentoring
relationships.  Here's how it works: interested participants fill out a
questionnaire and are matched by Nehirim staff.  After an initial
conversation, after which both parties agree to initiate the
relationship, mentors & mentees agree to talk by phone at least once a
month, email frequently, and see each other in person at Nehirim
conferences and events. Elders are supervised by Rabbi Staub.  Through
bimonthly phone conversations and on a bimonthly group conference call,
he provides guidance, resources, and support for elders, ensuring the
safety of the elder/youth relationship and enabling elders to grow in
their roles as mentors.  "Youth" (who must be over 18 and who sometimes
are in their thirties) stay in touch with Zvi Bellin, who supports them
and helps them get the most out of the relationship. If you think you
might be interested -- no commitment necessary -- please contact Jacob
Staub at jacob at nehirim.org <mailto:jacob at nehirim.org> or Zvi Bellin at
zvi at nehirim.org <mailto:zvi at nehirim.org> to get the process
rolling.  For more information,visit www.nehirim.org/shalshelet
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MetatronicsZeekMedia/9881e8ccc7/a18ee2b263/1b9f5302c7>
.

*Ma'agal: The Nehirim Womens Group*

Ma'agal
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MetatronicsZeekMedia/9881e8ccc7/a18ee2b263/cd5d26c7ce>,
Nehirim's New York women's circle, has monthly meetings every first
Monday of the month.  Join us at our next meeting, Dec. 1st, at 7:30 at
the JCC of Manhattan, for discussion and sharing at this support group
for Jewish women facing questions of sexuality, gender, and religion.

This fall, Nehirim is also starting local groups on Long Island and in
San Francisco.  Email info at nehirim.org <mailto:info at nehirim.org> or
watch this space for more information.

  	 Other items of interest from our friends and allies...

Tirtzah: A Community of Frum Queer Women

Tirtzah is a community of frum queer women who gather to celebrate and
study our yiddishkeit. We are committed to the value of shleimut
(wholeness) and to supporting one another in observing a meaningful,
integrated, honest and joyful Jewish life.  Please visit the blog
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MetatronicsZeekMedia/9881e8ccc7/a18ee2b263/5a72d12a03>.
Are you a religious queer Jewish woman with a story to share? We are
looking for guest posters, so if you would like to write something for
this blog , please e-mail us <mailto:tirtzahcommunity at gmail.com>.  Also,
if you are a lesbian, bisexual or queer identified woman who is
religious, observant and/or Orthodox… or is on the path to becoming more
halachically observant… we welcome you to join our e-mail discussion
group
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MetatronicsZeekMedia/9881e8ccc7/a18ee2b263/6041257119>.
In addition to our e-mail discussion group and blog, we hold events in
the New York City area.  Thanks for your support!

  Happy fall!

Jay, Sasha, Zvi, Shoshana, Chani, and Ri

The Nehirim Team

Click here
<http://oi.verticalresponse.com/f2af/v4/send_to_friend.html?ch=9881e8ccc7&lid=147000122&ldh=a18ee2b263>
to forward this email to a friend

Nehirim
330 Seventh Avenue, 21st Floor
New York, New York 10001

Read <http://www.verticalresponse.com/content/pm_policy.html> the
VerticalResponse marketing policy.

	Try Email Marketing with VerticalResponse!
<http://www.verticalresponse.com/landing/?mm/9881e8ccc7>

--

Steven P. Nathan

Campus Rabbi

Interim LGBTQ Advisor

Hampshire College

Office of Spiritual Life – Box SA

Amherst, MA 01002

Phone: (413) 559-5282

Fax: (413) 559-5663

snathan at hampshire.edu <mailto:snathan at hampshire.edu>

/"The more deeply immersed I became in the thinking of the prophets, the
more powerfully it became clear to me what the lives of the prophets
sought to convey: that morally speaking there is no limit to the concern
one must feel for the suffering of human beings. It also became clear to
me that in regard to cruelties committed in the name of a free society,
some are guilty, all are responsible."/

/-Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel/