[Jewish] Israel lunch discussion with the Rabbi today at noon

Steven Nathan snathan at hampshire.edu
Thu Feb 28 07:00:36 EST 2008

Dear Hampshire Jewish community,
For today's "lunch with the rabbi" at noon in the Saga back dining room
I thought it would be a good idea to have an open and calm discussion
concerning the recent articles in "The Climax" concerning Israel and
Palestine.  I would like this to be an open discussion where all points
of view and expressions of feelings are welcome.

I realize that a public dining hall is not the best place to have a
"deeper" discussion about Israel, being Jewish at Hampshire, and other
issues that have been raised by the dialogue in "The Climax".  There
will be other opportunities for those discussions in the future in a
less public space and with more time.  however, since today is the day
when I have lunch with students, I felt like it would be a good time to
start the discussion.

I will be at a table near the back of the rear dining room.  If you are
not on the meal plan, just let Roberta know that you're there to have
lunch with me and she'll put you on my tab.

B'shalom,

SPN

--

Steve Nathan

Steven P. Nathan

Campus Rabbi and

Interim LGBTQ Advisor

Hampshire College

Office of Spiritual Life -- Box SA

Amherst, MA 01002

Phone: (413) 559-6234

Fax: (413) 559-5663

snathan at hampshire.edu <mailto:snathan at hampshire.edu>

"The more deeply immersed I became in the thinking of the prophets, the
more powerfully it became clear to me what the lives of the prophets
sought to convey: that morally speaking there is no limit to the concern
one must feel for the suffering of human beings. It also became clear to
me that in regard to cruelties committed in the name of a free society,
some are guilty, all are responsible."

-Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel