[Jewish] Jewish Film Festival on Campus: Two Israeli Films

Steven Nathan snathan at hampshire.edu
Thu Apr 3 15:49:57 EDT 2008

*_Israeli Films at Hampshire -- part of the Pioneer Valley Jewish Film
Festival

Saint Clara_ -- Tuesday April 8, 8:00 PM, West Lecture Hall FPH*
A futuristic Israeli film about a clairvoyant 7th grader named Clara, a
Russian immigrant to a small town in the Negev. The town is thrown into
a tumult by her arrival. Clara must deal with her fame as a fortune
teller, forced to choose whether to lose her gifts in return for the
love of the local rebel hunk or to keep her mystical powers.

*_Trumpet in the Wadi_ -- Wednesday April 9, 8:00 PM, Main Lecture Hall FPH*
Alex and Huda are lovers and outsiders in Israeli society - Alex is a
new immigrant from Russia and Huda an Arab woman from Haifa. She works
in a Jewish travel agency and reads Hebrew poetry; he plays the trumpet
marvelously. An impossible love story that can be described as a Middle
Eastern nod to Romeo and Juliet

*Both films are free to all 5 College students.  So please invite your
friends as well!*

--

Steve Nathan

Steven P. Nathan

Campus Rabbi and

Interim LGBTQ Advisor

Hampshire College

Office of Spiritual Life -- Box SA

Amherst, MA 01002

Phone: (413) 559-6234

Fax: (413) 559-5663

snathan at hampshire.edu <mailto:snathan at hampshire.edu>

"The more deeply immersed I became in the thinking of the prophets, the
more powerfully it became clear to me what the lives of the prophets
sought to convey: that morally speaking there is no limit to the concern
one must feel for the suffering of human beings. It also became clear to
me that in regard to cruelties committed in the name of a free society,
some are guilty, all are responsible."

-Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel