[Jewish] Smith Hillel hosting Jewish Multiculturalist Loolwa Khazzoom Oct. 26-27th]

Steven Nathan snathan at hampshire.edu
Tue Oct 23 13:00:07 EDT 2007

Loolwa Khazzoom pioneered the Jewish Multiculturalism movement in 1990s. Her work has radically transformed thinking about diversity and Jewish identity, shifting from a limited European Jewish paradigm to one that reflects the racial, ethnic, and cultural diversity of the global Jewish experience.

At Smith, Loolwa will be leading a participatory music workshop. She will introduce ancient Jewish songs and prayers from the Middle East and North Africa sung in Hebrew, Aramaic and Judeo-Arabic. Some basic Middle Eastern/North African drumming rhythms will be covered as well. There will be transliteration; no previous singing experience or knowledge of aforementioned mentioned languages necessary.

Please join Loolwa and Smith Hillel on Saturday, October 27 from 3-5pm at the Helen Hills Hills Chapel for an afternoon of singing!

Rabbi Bruce Bromberg Seltzer
Smith College - Chaplain to the College
Amherst College - Religious Advisor
Director, Smith/Amherst Hillel
Helen Hills Hills Chapel
Northampton, MA  01063
(413)585-2755   fax (413)585-2794
bseltzer at email.smith.edu
blog:  rabbibruce.blogspot.com
Facebook me ( http://www.facebook.com/p/Rabbi_Bruce/5903670 )

Steven P. Nathan

Campus Rabbi

Office of Spiritual Life -- Box SA

Hampshire College Amherst, MA 01002

Phone: (413) 559-6234

Fax: (413) 559-5663

snathan at hampshire.edu <mailto:snathan at hampshire.edu>

"The more deeply immersed I became in the thinking of the prophets, the
more powerfully it became clear to me what the lives of the prophets
sought to convey: that morally speaking there is no limit to the concern
one must feel for the suffering of human beings. It also became clear to
me that in regard to cruelties committed in the name of a free society,
some are guilty, all are responsible."

-Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel