[Jewish] More on Jews in the Woods (JITW)

adl02 at hampshire.edu adl02 at hampshire.edu
Mon Feb 5 17:27:33 EST 2007

Hello my favorite hampshire jews!
It's been a long since I've emailed ya'll... oh I'm nostalgic.  Anyhow, as a
recent alumn I haven't the heart to remove myself from the list-serve, and so
in snooping got VERY excited when I saw JITW was a topic. (Thanks sharon!)

This fall i participated in my first JITW, and it was fabulous!  It's a weekend
of transdenominational praying, singing, dancing, eating yummy organic home
cooked food, meeting new friends, massages, more singing and dancing, outdoors,
meditation, etc.  The coolest part though is it is what the community makes of
it!  Everyone brings everything in (for example, as a hamp community you might
be asked to prepare and bring a meal) and then we all create and establish the
community.  At the end of the event, it is all brought away with us.  It
started a about a dozen years ago by a group of college freshman who knew each
other from a summer israel program and decided to meet up in the woods for a
shabbos.  In a lot of ways, that's what it still is.  A group of people who
come together to create this community and very sacred space.  I'd recommend
looking it up on wikipedia seeing as it has a page.

I really hope to see as many of you there as possible because I miss ya'll!
(and dont worry to much about transportation, there is a person in charge known
as the car czar that will help make that piece come together.)  Also, you all
are invited up to Boston for a shabbos!  (Just let me know when you want to
come!)
Much love and many blessings,
Lexi (a former JSU signer)