[Jewish] Artemis Joukowsky at JCA

Noam Hurvitz-Prinz nhh04 at hampshire.edu
Tue Apr 18 15:53:07 EDT 2006

This event is happening at JCA this friday. If you are interested,
but need a ride contact Liza Neal and she will try to organize a van
depending on how many people are interested.

Thanks, Noam

So here's the deal. This Friday at 7:30 p.m. in the Sanctuary of the
Jewish Community of Amherst Artemis Joukowsky, Hampshire alumnus and
trustee emeritus, and Rosemarie Feigl will speak about the work of
Artemis's grandparents Waitstill and Martha Sharp, who founded the
Unitarian Universalist Service Committee, an organization that saved
many thousands of Jews and religious liberals from the Nazis. Ms.
Feigl is one of them. In June the Sharps will be honored in Jerusalem
as the second and third Americans to be named to the "Righteous Among
Nations" at the Yad Vashem.

MORE DETAILS:

Dr. Mordecai Paldiel, Director of the Righteous Among the Nations
Department of Yad Vashem, announced that two former Wellesley
residents, Martha and Rev. Waitstill Sharp, will be honored this week
as only the second and third Americans recognized for humanitarian
efforts in rescuing Jews during Hitler’s reign of terror.

The Yad Vashem organization, “The Holocaust Martyrs’ and Heroes’
Remembrance Authority,” recently announced that Waitstill and Martha
Sharp have been awarded the title of “Righteous Among the Nations.”
The Sharps, only the second and third Americans to be so recognized,
are being honored posthumously for “help rendered to Jewish persons
during the period of the Holocaust, at considerable risk to themselves.”

Waitsill and Martha Sharp’s names will be added to the Righteous
Honor Wall at Yad Vashem memorial* *in Jerusalem on June 12, 2006.
Honored guests for the medal ceremony will be the Sharps’ children
(Hastings Sharp and Martha Sharp Joukowsky), son-in-law, (Artemis
A.W. Joukowsky II), grandchildren (Nina Joukowsky Köprülü, Artemis
A.W. Joukowsky III and Michael W. Joukowsky), as well as their great-
grandchildren.

Yad Vashem was established in 1963 by the state of Israel to
commemorate and perpetuate the memory of the six million Jewish
victims of the Holocaust. An additional stipulation in its
constitution requires that Yad Vashem honor "The Righteous Among the
Nations,” Gentiles who risked their lives to save Jews. To date, some
21,000 people/ /have been so recognized.

Before the outbreak of World War II, Waitstill Sharp (1902-1984) was
a Unitarian minister in Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts. He and his
wife, Martha Dickie Sharp (1905-1999) were called to leave their
parish in February, 1939 to travel to Czechoslovakia on behalf of the
American Unitarian Association to assist the Unitarian Church in
Prague, a city flooded with refugees. Even after German forces
occupied all of Czechoslovakia a month later, the Sharps stayed on,
continuing their humanitarian work. “In Prague,” reports the Sharps’
grandson Artemis, “my grandparents found themselves in the middle of
a refugee crisis. Under the banner of the Unitarian Church, they
provided ecumenical relief efforts to hundreds of German, Austrian
and Russian refugees. In addition, they aided thousands of desperate
people seeking to flee or escape the Germans.” Waitstill Sharp left
Prague on August 9^th , 1939 after the Gestapo had closed down their
operation. Days later, the Gestapo issued a warrant for Martha’s
arrest. Fortunately, Martha left Czechoslovakia August 16^th , just
one day before her scheduled arrest. **

The Unitarian Service Committee was formally established in May,
1940. The Sharps were asked to return to Europe to help set up
illegal means for endangered refugees who had escaped to Vichy
France. They would establish escape routes from southern France,
often over the Pyrenees, through Spain to Portugal and, from there,
to safe destinations. The Sharps continued working in refugee camps,
but they also became experts at securing visas for refugees from the
often reluctant Vichy regime, the U.S. State Department and other
governments around the world. If the refugees didn’t have passports,
the Sharps helped them obtain temporary travel affidavits and other
documents necessary to cross borders. They bribed border guards and
provided rail, air, or sea transportation for the refugees. On
occasion, they personally escorted high-profile refugees out of
France. Martha and Waitstill Sharp used their wartime rescue
experience to instruct and collaborate closely with Varian Fry, who
was in Europe under the auspices of the newly formed Emergency Rescue
Committee. Fry was the only other American to have been recognized as
“Righteous Among the Nations” by Yad Vashem before the recent
announcement of the honor bestowed on the Sharps.

They also worked with Fry to organize the escape of Heinrich Mann and
Golo Mann, brother and son of Thomas, Franz Werfel and wife, he being
best known as the author of /The Song of Bernadette/, and Nobel-prize
winning scientist Otto Meyerhof and wife./ /Perhaps the greatest and
most dangerous rescue mission that the Sharps orchestrated was that
of the celebrated anti-Nazi author Lion Feuchtwanger and his wife
Marta. In a letter that Marta Feuchtwanger wrote to Waitstill in 1978
she said, “Varian Fry told me personally that we would endanger the
others if we were intercepted.” Fry then asked the Sharps to escort
the Feuchtwangers to safety. They accepted this perilous task. Martha
found a small access tunnel through which they could avoid the
guarded train station at Marseille and successfully board the train
to the Spanish border. From 1939 to 1945, the Sharps helped hundreds
of refugees reach a safe haven.

Charlie Clements, President of the Unitarian Universalist Service
Committee has said, “We are deeply gratified that the Sharps’ heroic
efforts -- risking their lives to help others -- have been recognized
in this very meaningful way. Their story and this honor inspire in us
a renewed dedication to joining with oppressed people in the United
States and around the world in their struggles for their basic human
rights.” Clements is currently on a fact-finding mission in Chad
investigating the conditions of refugees displaced by the genocide in
Darfur, Sudan.

“As a child, I knew that my parents were engaged in work that was of
the utmost importance and attended by both mystery and danger,” said
Martha Sharp Joukowsky, professor emerita at Brown University’s
Institute for Archaeology and the Ancient World. “This high honor and
the documentation that supported their candidacy have helped me
understand how much can be accomplished by people of conscience and
conviction even in the face of powerful evil forces.”

Artemis Joukowsky, III has expressed his gratitude to the people who
did the research that made this award possible. They include:
Professor Lawrence Benaquist and William Sullivan of Keene State
College, University of New Hampshire, who have spent the past five
years collating the personal papers of Martha Sharp and conducting
their extensive research in this country as well as in Europe. Thanks
also goes to Ghanda Di Figlia who had done the initial research for
her monograph on Martha Sharp, as well as Professor Thomas Durnford
of Keene State College who has conducted research in France and
provided translation of French documents. Artemis Joukowsky, III
worked closely his brother, Michael for his partnership in testifying
and submission to Yad Vashem. “This process was a family affair,”
Michael said, “to make this whole process possible! I am so proud!”

Joukowsky is writing a book and a film on the Sharps’ experience
during the war. Joukowsky serves as Executive Producer on the film
project that is being produced by Professors Benaquist and Sullivan.
They are the producers of the nationally acclaimed film on the life
of slain civil rights worker Jonathan Daniels, /Here Am I, Send Me:
The Journey of Jonathan Daniels. / Joukowsky says of these projects,
“We are all inspired by my grandparents’ story and the humility with
which they regarded their heroic deeds. I hope that by telling my
grandparents’ extraordinary story our children and others will be
inspired to take action when there is a wrong that needs to be righted.”