[Jewish] Passover Logistics

Alexis Light adl02 at hampshire.edu
Tue Apr 12 11:28:53 EDT 2005

Passover Logistics, Everything you need to know about the Hampshire JSU
and Passover!  I know it’s long, but it is all-important so please read
it!

The first night of Passover is Saturday, April 23, 2005
The last night of Passover is Sunday, May 1, 2005
Overview of E-mal:
Key List
Kashirng the kitchen
Food for the week (and money)
Shopping for this food
Events during the week

Key List:
If you want to keep kosher for Passover (and want access to the Dakin
Kitchen 24/7 during the week) I need your full name to get added to the
key list.  This means that anytime during the week you and your ID can
go to public safety to pick up the key.  When you’re done with the
kitchen just bring it back!

Kashirng the kitchen:
Monday night, April 18- 6 to 9pm
Tuesday night, April 19- 6-finish pm
We need all the help we can get for this!  Someone should bring a boom
box and others bring music!  I promise we’ll have fun as we clean.
Shopping for kashiring supplies will happen on MONDAY April 18th at
2pm!  Let me know if you can join me!

Food for the week:
WE NEED MONEY!  Basically, the funding we used to get for the weeks
worth of food is no more.  Those of you on the meal plan are being
compensated for by SAGA.  Those that are not:  We are asking that all
of you donate what you would be spending on a weeks worth of food.  The
donations are confidential so that no one feels pressured or
uncomfortable.  The money should be dropped off by Friday, April 22nd
at noon in the spiritual life office (next to student affairs).  It
needs to go directly to Liza Neal, the head of spiritual life, so that
it is all safe and accounted for.  She is in the office between 1 and 4
each day.  Please, if she is not there the first time, go back again.
I understand this may be inconvenient, but it is the safest and
securest way.
Also, because we don’t know how much each individual person gives, any
extra money at the end (there may or may not be extra depending on what
is contributed) will be donated to MAZON: a Jewish response to hunger.
They are awesome!  Check them out at: http://www.mazon.org/

Shopping for this food:
Let me know if you can help go shopping.  The first major trip will
probably be on Wednesday or Thursday (the 20th or 21st) and it may be
down to Springfield.  After that we may need help with small
“refresher” trips for things like eggs, etc.
Produce will be ordered from Noam via mixed nuts so we can do our part
to support local agriculture.

Events during the week:
We try to program more during this week.  Lots of the programming will
be arranged via the white board that’ll be set up in the kitchen.
Thursday Night, 4/28 may be an all JSU evening at Aaron and Chana’s
(the hamp alumn)
Friday, 4/29 at 12:30 will be Rabbi Lisa leading a catered “lunch and
learn” watch for posters or e-mail her for more info (also, help
setting up will be needed.)
Friday Night 4/30- SHABBAT DINNER!  We’re looking for help cooking/head
chief
Sunday Night 5/1- BREAK PASSOVER PIZZA PARTY!

Also, we will be putting explicit rules of what is and isn’t allowed in
the kitchen up when we kasher it.  The kitchen will also be separate
for milk and meat.  We understand that not everyone keeps kosher the
same way we are expecting the kitchen to be kept (and understand that
we are using a Ashkenazi model), BUT we want everyone to feel welcome
in our kitchen, which means keeping the strictest laws possible.  If
you are confused by something, PLEASE ask!

Looking forward to an exciting week full of community, matza and exodus!
Your JSU signers