[Jewish] Fwd: [Soref-newsletter] Soref Initiative Monthly--Jan. 04

Lexi Light adl02 at hampshire.edu
Mon Jan 5 23:57:18 EST 2004

some JSUites had asked yo be forwarded a copy each month, until i figure
out just who they were, you're all seeing  it.  Hope everyone had a good
hanukah and all the best in this new year!
-Lexi
also, who is around for jan term shabbst dinners?  is there an interest?

> [...]
>
> interested in pursuing a career in Jewish professional
>
> leadership through FEREP (Federation Executive
>
> Recruitment Education Program). FEREP offers graduate
>
> school scholarships
>
> to some of the "best and brightest" individuals
>
> interested in pursuing a career in the Jewish community
>
> through the Federation. Scholars attend some of the
>
> country’s most prestigious universities, professional
>
> conferences and receive career guidance in exchange for
>
> a two- to three-year commitment to work in the Jewish
>
> federation system. The application deadline, February 1,
>
> is quickly approaching. For more information, log on to
>
> www.ujc.org/ferep or contact Amy Wagner, the FEREP
>
> Scholarship director at amy.wagner at ujc.org.

> Program Assistant
>

> The B’nai B’rith Youth Organization is looking for a
>
> staff member to provide programmatic support to the
>
> programming department. Program assistant will organize
>
> summer program registration materials; maintain and
>
> administer program waiting lists; analyze participant
>
> recommendations; maintain attendee forms; run the camp
>
> office; and update content on the Web site and take
>
> action on e-mails. This position will be staffed for two
>
> months each summer at camp. Please submit a resume/cover
>
> letter to sabrams at bbyo.org or fax to (202) 857-6568.

> Summer Internships inNew York
>

> Collegiate Leadership Internship Program (CLIP) offers
>
> competitive, paid summer internship opportunities for
>
> New Yorkarea college students through the Hillels of
>
> New York. Participants will develop effective leadership
>
> skills, expand their professional horizons and learn
>
> about the dynamic nature of the organized Jewish
>
> community on campus and in theNew YorkJewish
>
> community. CLIP offers 50 internships over the summer
>
> in a variety of fields (from Jewish communal service to
>
> law and business - and a lot more). CLIP interns
>
> participate in day-long weekly seminars on topics of
>
> interest in the Jewish community and a mid-summer
>
> Shabbaton. For more information and an application,
>
> please visit www.hillels-ny.org/clip.html or contact
>
> Orlee Guttman, CLIP coordinator at clip at hillels-ny.org
>
> 212-279-6300 x19.

> JDC Jewish Service Corps
>

> Would you like to live abroad for a year and work with a
>
> Jewish community? The JDC sends self-starting,
>
> creative, college graduates to work and live in
>
> international Jewish communities for one year
>
> placements. Volunteers work on a variety of programs
>
> including Jewish education, community outreach, and
>
> often welfare/relief projects. The JDC provides
>
> housing, a monthly stipend, health insurance and covers
>
> all work-related expenses. This opportunity offers
>
> participants a cross-cultural experience and a chance
>
> to enhance professional and life skills. Positions are
>
> available for fall 2004 inSlovakia,Romania,Turkey,
>
> India,Poland,Vienna, and for health and welfare work
>
> inEthiopia. There is also an immediate opening in

<File attached>One of Julie’s favorite holidays in January is not a Jewish holiday at
all—Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. It’s not Jewish, but there are many
connections that can be made to Jews. Many Jews were involved in the
civil rights campaign. In his day, King received vigorous support King
received from such Jewish leaders as Morris Abram and Abraham Joshua
Heschel. There was Jewish participation in the historic march fromOne of
Julie’s favorite holidays in January is not a Jewish holiday at all—
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. It’s not Jewish, but there are many
connections that can be made to Jews. Many Jews were involved in the
civil rights campaign. In his day, King received vigorous support King
received from such Jewish leaders as Morris Abram and Abraham Joshua
Heschel. There was Jewish participation in the historic march
fromSelmatoMontgomery.  Likewise, King gave his assistance to the
struggle against Soviet repression of Jews.