[Jewish] Fwd: Jewish "Cool"

Beth Deal batumtn at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 20 09:46:28 EDT 2004

> washingtonpost.com
>
> Young, Jewish and . . . Cool
> Music, Multiculturalism Help Generation Reconnect With Ethnic
> Identity
>
> By Carol Eisenberg
> Newsday
> Saturday, April 17, 2004; Page B09
>
> Jason Saft once believed Jewish cool was as incongruous an idea as,
> well, a Jewish James Bond.
>
> Growing up in Levittown, N.Y., Saft, 26, admits he felt "ashamed and
> embarrassed about being Jewish." He wanted to be like all the other
> kids at his high school, which is to say, Irish or Italian.
>
> That was before he got in touch with his "kosher fabulosity," as he
> likes to say, and helped stoke a worldwide pop-cultural movement. A
> year and a half ago, after brainstorming with friends about
> cutting-edge Jewish humor for a new theater, Saft printed out their
> logo, ironed it onto a T-shirt, and went walking around Manhattan
> with it plastered across his chest.
>
> The message was simple, racy and undeniably proud: "JEWCY," it said.
"I was mobbed," Saft says. "People were coming up to me on the
> street, Jews and non-Jews, saying, 'I have to have that shirt.'"
Suddenly, as Saft discovered, it had become hip to be Hebrew in
America.

>  From the Web site JewLo.com , which proclaims that "Jew and cool are
 not incompatible, but go together like peanut butter and
> Kosher-for-Passover chocolate," to the arrival in downtown movie
> houses  of the Hebrew Hammer, the first Jewish action hero in the
guise of a Yiddishkeit Shaft, a younger generation is creating new
narratives of what it means to be Jewish.

> And virtually overnight, JEWCY has become one of its emblems,
> capturing
> the flip, in-your-face attitude of a largely secular group weaned on
> rap, hip-hop and the new American love affair with multiculturalism.
>
> With no advertising, save Web logs and word of mouth, the T-shirt has
become the accoutrement of choice for a new breed of Jewish hipsters
> from Manhattan to Los Angeles. They listen to bands such as the
> Hasidic New Wave and Hip Hop Hoodios, delight in the
Yiddish-inflected humor of the magazine "Heeb: The New Jew Review" and
read a new raft of young,transgressive Jewish writers.

> "I think it's too soon and too inchoate to call it a movement yet,
> but  I really do believe there is something profound and exciting
going on right now with young Jews who are trying to connect with
Judaism in
> thoroughly untraditional and in thoroughly new ways," said Joshua
> Neuman, 31, publisher and editor of the two-year-old Heeb.
>
> Not for this generation, the ghettoized sensibility of Catskills
> shtick  or the nose jobs and name changes that were the symbol of
their  parents' and grandparents' anxieties.

> "These are people who are really comfortable in their identities, and
 so they can be playful about boundaries and make fun of themselves,"
> said Alicia Svigals, a pioneer of the Jewish music scene whose work
> with the Klezmatics beginning in the mid-1980s set the stage for the
> hipsters.
>
> "There's a confidence and an unself-consciousness. And I think on an
> unconscious level [the slogans] . . . are also about claiming the
> power  that Jews have now. We're not vulnerable immigrants anymore.
And so you  can say 'shalom' -- because you don't have to worry. What's
being defied is no longer anti-Semitism and the hostile, non-Jewish
world.  What's being defied is one's parents and the idea of being
meek."

> To be sure, there are plenty of young Jewish people who never bought
> into the caricature of Jews as meek, or had the self-doubt that
> JEWCY's  Saft did, but for whom the revival of all things
self-consciously  Jewish is still meaningful. Theirs is a generation,
after all, reared  largely in the American suburbs without firsthand
knowledge of  privation or persecution -- and for whom hip-hop is often
more familiar than Hebrew. They have watched with fascination, and not
a little envy,  as one ethnic group after another has rediscovered its
own  particularity now that Americans have come to embrace
multiculturalism.

> Many are impatient with their grandparents' preoccupation with Jews
> as  victims or "the chosen people," even as they experience the
Holocaust  as a Steven Spielberg movie.

> "My parents' generation grew up afraid to tell people they were
> Jewish,
> largely because of the Holocaust," said Benyamin Cohen, 28, an
> Orthodox Jew and son of a rabbi, who is the founder of the
Atlanta-based Webzine, Jewsweek.

> "I grew up in the South wearing my yarmulke, and I didn't experience
> anti-Semitism at all," Cohen said. "We're not the nebbish Jews
> epitomized by Woody Allen anymore. We don't identify with 'Fiddler on
 the Roof.' . . . You're seeing a generation trying to reconnect with
> Judaism in new and inventive ways."
>
> Many seek "new" connections to Jewish culture in the burgeoning music
 scene -- exploring jazz by John Zorn's Masada and Hasidic New Wave,
> klezmer by bands like Mikveh, Golem and Pharaoh's Daughter and even
> novelty hip-hop by 50 Shekel.
>
> Others pass around books by a new generation of self-consciously
> Jewish
> writers such as Jonathan Safran Foer, Myla Goldberg and Gary
> Shteyngart, who explore sex, religion and even the Holocaust in fresh
 and often outrageous ways.

> Some assert newfound ethnic pride by wearing edgy and sometimes
> explicit slogans such as "Yo Semite" and chortling over Heeb's homage
to the big-hipped, big-nosed appeal of "the Jewess."

> And a few have dedicated themselves to reclaiming the old slurs with
> chutzpah that would surely make their grandparents cringe -- turning
> "hebe," for instance, from ugly epithet into an everyman greeting,
> spoofing Jewish cabals on InternationalJewishConspiracy.com , and
> drinking He'brew, "the chosen beer" from the northern
> California-based  Schmaltz Brewing Co.
>
> "I think this time is going to be seen, in hindsight, as the
> beginning  of a golden age," said Heeb's Neuman. "You could call it
> post-denominational Judaism. Our staff includes Jews from every
> denomination . . . all of whom think of ourselves as trapped, for
> better and for worse, in the same historical narrative. And we want
> to  have a dynamic, interrogating, nuanced, at times critical and at
> times irreverent relationship with all things Jewish."
>
> Some acknowledge, though, that that posture might change if resurgent
anti-Semitism abroad takes hold in the United States.

> "This is happening at a time when Jews in other parts of the world
> are  facing risks," said Paul Zakrzewski, editor of "Lost Tribe:
Jewish  Fiction from the Edge."

> "Here in New York, you're surrounded by other Jews, and so you have a
 sense of safety," Zakrzewski said. "And you can afford to poke fun at
 yourself. I probably would feel very differently if I lived in
> England  or Turkey."
>
> Beyond that, some are frankly skeptical that the hipster scene will
> warrant more than a footnote in Jewish history.
>
> "If there's something that distinguishes this generation from the
> past,  it's that it is much more removed from a substantive Jewish
> upbringing  and substantive Jewish education," said Rabbi Andy
Bachman, 40,  executive director of New York University's Bronfman
Center for
> Jewish
> Life. "They celebrate pop-culture expressions of Jewishness, like
> 'Seinfeld,' bagels-and-lox and Larry David, but that's about it. And
> that is a totally ephemeral Jewish identity."
>
> Many suggest, moreover, that lurking beneath the flip veneer of the
> hipster scene is a deep craving for identity that is unlikely to be
> satisfied with pop culture expressions of Jewishness alone.
>
> "This is not about hipness or cool, I don't think," said Roger
> Bennett,
> 33, vice president of the Andrea and Charles Bronfman Philanthropies.
>
> "What's driving it is a real hunger among members of my generation to
 explore Jewish meaning, identity and community. . . .

> "So it's a time of great experimentation. And we're telling ourselves
new stories as we move towards a sense of Jewishness, which is based
> around ritual, around joy and self-confidence, and around how Jews
> really live."
>
> Above all else, that joyousness and self-confidence is what many Jews
describe as bringing them back into the cultural fold.

> Annette Ezekiel, of the klezmer rock band Golem, comes from a
> nonreligious background. But she says she is now studying ancient
> Jewish texts, along with Yiddish, to deepen her appreciation of
> klezmer, a genre based on Eastern European folk music.  "My Yiddish
> teacher says that you don't have to believe it, but you have to know
> about it."
>
> And Saft, of JEWCY fame, has returned to synagogue for the first time
 in 13 years, although he is making no long-term commitments.