[Jewish] Join me in signing the Call to Bring the Settlers Home to Israel

ajos02 at hampshire.edu ajos02 at hampshire.edu
Mon Jun 2 18:39:30 EDT 2003

Hey JSU members,

First, a warning that this e-mail again discusses the petition to Bring the
Settlers Home.  If you are only on this listserve to find out about Shabbat
dinners or don't want to hear political discussion about Israel than I suggest
you read no further.

Okay, you choose to keep reading.  Good choice if I do say so myself.  This e-
mail is a reply (hopefully a short one) to some of Jessica's comments.  Her
entire e-mail is included below and thus I am just going to reference parts.

Jessica wrote that those who signed the petition "didn't think realistically
about the remaining settlers, who do not wish, under any circumstances, to
leave their homes due to their religion or race."  Guess what, I did think
about the remaining settlers.  For one, I realized that the settlers are not
being asked to move because of religion or race (though it's a given that a
majority if not all the settlers are Jewish) but because of the location they
choose to live in.  Of course, certain settlers will choose not to move, this
is their choice.  However nowhere, not in my e-mail, the petition
(http://bringthemhome.btvshalom.org/), or the Brit Tzedek v'Shalom website, is
there any suggestions that the settlers who choose to remain will not be
protected by the Israeli army.  Jessica essentially eluded to army withdrawal
in her suggestion that remaining settlers would be left vulnerable to violence.

***Warning Personal Rant***
Personally, I question the justice of asking the Israeli army to protect
settlers in the West Bank and Gaza when these are areas that many Israeli
citizens and members of the world community do not believe settlers should have
moved to in the first place.  Protecting the settlements costs a lot of money
and drains the already hurting economy of Israel.  It is painfully ironic that
some (sorry I can't give numbers but I would guess the number is significant)
of the settlers do not even serve in the army because of religious beliefs and
yet call on the army to provide them with protection.  However, we must
remember that the army is not only protecting Israelis from Palestinians it is
also Protecting Palestinians from Israelis.  Daniel Gordis wrote an excellent
article entitled Olive Picking in the Wild West (Bank) in which he discusses
the phenomenon of settlers ruining Palestinians olive harvests and thus their
major source of income.  However, no need to take my word for it, you can read
the article yourself at (http://www.topica.com/lists/gordis/read).

Okay, I think I'm off my personal high horse.  Jessica continues by suggesting
that some people leaving the settlements will serve as encouragement for
Palestinians to increase their violence against those who reamin in the
settlements.  (Back on the Horse: Remember there was no violence against people
in the settlements when there were no settlements.)  She may very well be
correct.  I'd also argue that increasing settlement population will increase
the violence.  They only other option is freezing settlement populations and
presumably violence levels where they stand now.  Any option and we still get
violence.  However perhaps, through having people leave settlements,
establishing a Palestinian state, and promoting trade and economic growth
between the two countries, we can have the peace we all desire.

Jessica ended her e-mail with "I do not believe that signing this petition is a
move towards peace, or simply a "financial incentive."  Rather, this petition
promotes a forceful use of US resources in legitimizing the use of violence to
achieve one's goals.  Who will then be responsible for the blood of the
remaining men, women, and children who did not "chose" to leave their homes due
to their religion?"

I end my e-mail urging you to read the petition (linked above), and read it
carefully, and decide for yourself whether what it calls for is a step towards
peace or a misuse of force.  Jessica asked who will be responsible for the
blood of those who remain.  I ask that we all take responsbility for the blood
which has been spilt already and do our best to create peace in our day.

Im Chalomot Shalom (With Dreams of Peace),

Ari Shapiro

Quoting jlz98 at hampshire.edu: