[Jewish] Fwd: Mulaka Bublil!! 2/27 Campus cntr. Rm. 163c @ 7 PM

amd00 at hampshire.edu amd00 at hampshire.edu
Wed Feb 26 16:29:23 EST 2003

Hey Everyone,
This should be a really great event! I'll be driving from Hampshire to UMASS
for the event. If you want a ride let me know.
- Alizah
adavid at hampshire.edu
x5155

----- Forwarded message from Leah <lvitale at student.umass.edu> -----
    Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 11:56:52 -0500
    From: Leah <lvitale at student.umass.edu>
 Subject: Mulaka Bublil!! 2/27 Campus cntr. Rm. 163c @ 7 PM
      To: lvitale at student.umass.edu

ATTENTION ALL SAFI MEMBERS!!!

Please spread the word about Malaka Bublil who will talk about her
amazing experience growing up as a Jew in Libya, "Love is Stronger Than
Hate," this Thursday 2/27 at 7:00 p.m. in the UMass Campus Center Room
163c.

  Bublil is a Jewish woman who grew up in Libya and was forced to flee
as a refugee from that country in 1967.  Under very difficult
circumstances, her life was saved first by her Muslim landlord and later
by her Christian employer.  The co-founder of JIMENA (Jews Indigenous to
the Middle East and North Africa), she presents the rarely heard
perspective of Mizrachi Jews who grew up in Arab countries.

  These quotes from students who have heard her give a sense of the
impact of her message:
"Our world needs more people like you.  Your ability to have transformed
such a negative and ugly experience into a productive and helpful tool
are exactly what we need to begin to solve the problems that continue
today."
"I was particularly interested in your personal healing process and how
you have been able to incorporate your individual healing and
reconciliation with helping others."
"I ...found it inspirational because there were non-Jews helping to save
your and your family's life.  The examples of the 'righteous ones' --
your Egyptian Muslim neighbor and your British colleague -- served to
illustrate that there are decent people everywhere, and that even under
the mast dangerous circumstances the true human spirit will shine
through the darkness of evil and destruction."

We hope to see all your bright shining faces there..

-Brought to you by your local UMass Student Alliance for Israel

----- End forwarded message -----