[Jewish] Purim is monday, AC and UMass are partying

Beth Deal batumtn at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 22 02:16:22 EST 2002

Purim announcements from Amherst and UMass!!!

FIVE COLLEGE PURIM PARTY!!! (Amhert Hillel)

They tried to kill us. We Won. Let's party.

This Monday, 7 pm, Alumni House.
Come celebrate Purim!
Food, costumes, dancing.

7 pm - Megillah reading,
8 pm - skits and games,
9 pm - PARTY, MUSIC AND DANCING WITH DJ HABIBI.

HAMENTASHEN BAKING!!!

Wanna eat some fun triangular jelly-filled pastries at the Purim Party?
How about making some, then!!  We're undertaking large-scale
hamentashen baking. Join us and get to taste test when they're fresh
out of the oven!!

This Saturday, 2 pm, Cadigan Center for Religious Life.

Email dbkatz at amherst.edu or just show up at the Cadigan Center for
ReligiousLife.  Bring your friends!

SHABBAT SERVICES & DINNER

Don't forget about services at 5:30, and a tasty home-cooked meal at
6:30.
Cadigan Center for Religious Life.

UMass Hillel
> [...]
> 	2/23 - Havdalah
> 	2/24 - Latke vs. Hamantash Debate
> 	2/24 - Bake Hamantashen
> 	2/24 - JSU Purim Party
> 	2/24 - Israeli Dancing
> 	2/25 - Kehilat Hillel Haazinu Minyan
> 	2/25 - 5-College Megillah Reading and Purim Party

> 1. EVENTS
>
> ____________________
> Wednesday, February 20
> ____________________
>
> PURIM MASK MAKING
> 7pm, Meet at Student Union Craft Center
> Create something fun. Bring $
>
> ____________________
> Thursday, February 21
> ____________________
>
> SAVE THE AFTERSCHOOL PROGRAM for Children
> Tzedek Hillel invites you to a letter writing campaign to save the
> afterschool program.
> 6pm, Hillel House
>
> VAGINA MONOLOGUES
> Thursday, Friday, Saturday
> 8pm, Campus Center Auditorium
> Students $3
> General Public: $7
> Proceeds benefit local charities that help women in need.
>
> ____________________
> Friday, February 22
> ____________________
>
> Shabbat Services, 6pm, Hillel House
> Reform, Conservative, Kehilat Hillel Haazinu Carlebach Minyan
>
> Shabbat Dinner, 7:15pm, Hillel House
> Free to those not on any meal plan.
> No extra charge for those not on Kosher Meal Plan.
>
> ____________________
> Saturday, February 23
> ____________________
>
> MORNING SERVICE, 10:30am, Hillel House
> Followed by light lunch
>
> HAVDALAH, 7:15pm, Campus Center RM ? (ldweiss at student.umass.edu)
> Afterwards go together to the Vagina Monologues
>
> ____________________
> Sunday, February 24
> ____________________
>
> LATKE vs HAMANTASH DEBATE
> 12noon, Hillel House
> Hear faculty members debate the virtues of the Latke and Hamantash
> At the end, you decide!
> Refreshments served
>
> BAKE HAMANTASHEN
> Join the Jewish Women's Collective
> 2pm, Hillel House Upstairs Kitchen
>
> JEWISH STUDENT UNION PURIM PARTY
> 9pm at the Monkey Bar in Amherst Center
> $5 cover charge,  Only $3 with costume!
> 18+ to enter   21+ to drink
> More info: Leah  ldweeiss at student...
> JSU office 5-4827
>
> ISRAELI DANCING
> 7pm, Hillel House
> No experience necessary
>
> ____________________
> Monday, February 25
> ____________________
>
> Kehilat Hillel Haazinu MINYAN
> 8am, Hillel House
>
> 5-COLLEGE MEGILLAH READING & PURIM PARTY
> Alumni House at Amherst College*
> 7pm, Megillah Reading
> 8pm, "Megillah Monologues"
> 9pm, Party: Music, Food, Costumes, and Dancing with DJ Habibi!
> *Directions: 75 Churchill Str.--Main Str past Black Sheep, first
right onto Churchill, go straight to the end.--white building on right.

> 2.  NEW ISRAEL RADIO SHOW ON WMUA
>
> Like Israeli music? Then check out WMUA's new show Nesiah Muzikali
(Musical Journey) Fridays from 12-2:30 DJed by our own Rachael Dahlben.
Email her at zebra2116 at aol.com for more info or just tune into the show
this Friday.

> 3. INTRAMURAL BASKETBALL GAMES
>
> Our games are played on tuesday nights at 8pm.  They run until the
26th of February, then if we make it to the playoffs, it will contiune.
 We play at Boyden, 4th floor.  I guess thats it... otherwise, we don't
need anymore players, maybe just another girl, but i don't want too
many or no one will get enough playing time.  I'm not sure yet about
sunday, maybe just a srimmage if anyone wants to show up, probably
around 1pm.  Well thats pretty much it.

available at http://jcsc.hillel.org the deadline is March 1st!

> 5.  ATTENTION GRADUATING SENIORS:
>
> Are you interested in paid Jewish opportunities in service and social
change?

> AVODAH: The Jewish Service Corps is a one-year program that combines
front-line anti-poverty work in New York City or Washington DC with
community building and Jewish study. Want to know more? Visit the
AVODAH website at http://www.avodah.net. You can also contact AVODAH
directly by phone (212)545-7759 or e-mail info at avodah.net.

 AVODAH is a full-time paid internship program; student loan deferrals
are available during your year of service. Applications due March 1,
2002.

> 6.  ARE YOU A BBYO ALUM?
>
> B'nai B'rith Youth Organization (BBYO) is in the final stages of
> becoming an autonomous organization. BBYO has played a signficant
role in Jewish identity and leadership development for Jewish youth and
we want to make sure that it continues to flourish. In New England we
are attempting to increase enrollment and the number of chapters and
dramatically increase the programmatic opportunities.

An important part of our effort involves locating BBYO alums who will
offer support for this growth. We would like to reach as many BBYO
alums as possible. Were you a member of BBYO?  Do you have a friend,
parent or other relative who was in AZA or BBG? If so, please contact
Debra Glassman at ccrc at ma.ultranet.com or 617-924-4542.

> 7.  Hillel's 2002 CHARLES SCHUSTERMAN INTERNATIONAL STUDENT LEADERS
ASSEMBLY INTERNSHIP

> Hillel's International Center in Washington, D.C., offers an
internship to one student interested in helping plan the 2002 Charles
Schusterman International Student Leaders Assembly. The intern will
work to create a conference that focuses on the needs and concerns of
Jewish student leaders.  Intern will have the opportunity to shadow
professionals, make his/her voice heard about the structure of Leaders
Assembly, plan sections of the conference, develop conference materials
and participate in the Department of Jewish Student Life.

 The internship will begin late May/early June 2002 and will conclude
at the end of the 2002 Leaders Assembly.  All applicants must be
available to attend Leaders Assembly from August 20-25 in Honesdale,
PA.  Interns receive a stipend; housing and transportation costs are
not provided. Strong preference will be given to applicants who have
previously attended the Charles Schusterman Hillel International
Student Leaders Assembly.

> For more information, please contact Rachel Hochheiser, Conference
Director at 202.857.6656 or rhochheiser at hillel.org to receive an
application. Applications must be received by February 28, 2002.

> 8.  OXFAM AMERICA'S CHANGE INITIATIVE - SOPHOMORES AND JUNIORS
>
> Oxfam America's CHANGE Initiative is a national leadership training
program.  CHANGE leaders become educated and inspire others to act on
global social justice issues.   Oxfam America offers training sessions,
tool kits, educational materials, and most importantly, access to the
grassroots knowledge and experience of our international development
programs around the world.  Through CHANGE, students learn about global
economic, social, and legal realities as they are being experienced not
only in the U.S., but in developing nations as well.   Students who are
rising sophomores and juniors are eligible to apply.

> Students selected for this highly competitive program will develop
leadership skills, build networks and collaborate with other leaders on
campus to promote greater action and awareness of global social justice
issues.

> We are currently recruiting for the 2002-03 academic year.  For more
information and to access the CHANGE application materials, go to
www.oxfamamerica.org/CHANGE.

> 9. The Five College Dance Department Faculty Concert
>
> Bowker Auditorium, Feb 21, 22, 23, 8 p.m.
> Box office: 545-2511
>
> The concert includes a premier by Jawole Willa Jo Zollar, Artistic
Director of acclaimed dance company Urban Bush Women, "Walking with
Pearl," honoring Pearl Primus. Also featured are a new work by Lila
York, formerly of the Paul Taylor Company, Billbob Brown and Becky
Nordstrom in a comedic  work about time,  ugusto Soledade's Brazilian
carnival, a duet  by Rose and Charles Flachs, a solo by Rodger Blum,
and a duet by guest artist Anya Sedlackova, a Fulbright scholar from
Slovakia. Lots of live music, exciting drumming, and truly fabulous
dancing.