[Jewish] Fwd: JLLC and Community Service Retreat

amd00 at hampshire.edu amd00 at hampshire.edu
Tue Dec 10 19:44:44 EST 2002

----- Forwarded message from UMass Hillel <info at umasshillel.org> -----
    Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 17:12:12 -0500
    From: UMass Hillel <info at umasshillel.org>
 Subject: JLLC and Community Service Retreat, please pass on
      To: tzalis at smith.edu, rnazaria at smith.edu, lfmaccabee at amherst.edu,
ewpechet at mtholyoke.edu, ilisker at mtholyoke.edu, ealevy at mtholyoke.edu,
mbsimon at mtholyoke.edu, adavid at hampshire.edu, batumtn at yahoo.com,
lfkeshet at mtholyoke.edu, bseltzer at smith.edu

Need a Place to Live for Wintersession and /or Spring Semester?
Check out the Jewish Living and Learning Community at the UMass Hillel
House. A residence for 26 students located on the top floor of the Hillel
House. Kitchennette, laundry, lounge, cable TV, pool table, parking
possible, and much more.
Sophomores, Juniors, Seniors and Grad Students are welcome to apply. Contact
John White jw.hillel at rocker.com  or Michelle Beller mishy109 at aol.com.

 UMass Hillel

Community Service Retreat

January 22-24, 2003

Information Sheet

Overview: Up to thirty Jewish UMass-Amherst students and staff will join
together in a series of community service projects, along with programming
focusing on Jewish values and leadership.  Students will have this
opportunity to meet and get to know other students before the second
semester starts.  We will see a Celtics game and meet local Jewish
activists.

When: The project will begin on Wednesday, January 22nd at 11 a.m., and end
Friday, January 24th at approximately 3 p.m.

Where: We will meet at the Hostelling International on 12 Hemenway St in
Boston (Green Line: Hynes Convention Center).  The entire group will stay
together on Wednesday and Thursday nights. The community service projects on
Wednesday, Thursday and Friday will be at sites in Boston. We are planning
on working with the Children’s Hospital; Community Servings, a community
center for people living with HIV; Rosie’s Place, a battered women’s
shelter; the Food Bank of Greater Boston and other area service agencies.

Transportation: Participants are responsible for getting their own
transportation to Boston on Wednesday morning and the return trip home on
Friday afternoon. Transportation to and from our work sites and around the
city will be on public transportation.

Cost: A fee of $50 (payable to the Hillel House) will be due with your
application to help cover lodging and meal costs.  Scholarships are
available to those in need.  Please inquire at devon at external.umass.edu .

Applying to participate: Completed applications should be received in the
Hillel House Office by December 15th. Because space is limited, applications
will be considered on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Once you are accepted: You will be contacted and given more details,
including what to bring, before the retreat.

_

UMass Hillel Community Service Retreat Participant Application

January 22-24, 2003

(Fee $50)

Name
_

Home address

Home phone                                                Email

Parent/guardian name

Parent/guardian address (if different from above)

Parent/guardian phone

Allergies________________________________________________________________

Dietary Needs:   kosher        vegetarian         vegan        other:

Rank projects in order of interest (1—most interested, 3—least interested)

___cooking & serving a meal at a battered women’s shelter (Rosie’s Place)

___ cooking & serving a meal at a center for people who are HIV + (Community
Servings)

___ volunteering at a furniture salvage program (Solutions at Work)

I, (please print your name)_____________________________, release the Hillel
House at the University of Massachusetts/Amherst, staff and student planners
from responsibility and liability for any harm or injury that may happen to
me during the Community Service Retreat in Boston on January 22-24, 2003.
I will be responsible for my actions and I will abide by the laws pertaining
to drug and alcohol use during the program.

Signed______________________                 Date_____________________

Ø      Your completed application must be received by UMass Hillel on or
before December 15th 2002

Ø      Your application must be accompanied by a check for the appropriate
program fee (made payable to the Hillel House) to help defray your lodging,
meal and activity costs. Your check will only be cashed once you are
accepted into the program, and is non-refundable.

If you have additional questions, contact Devon Fitzig at 413-549-1710 or
email: tzedekhillel at yahoo.com

Return your completed application and payment to:

Community Service Retreat

UMass Hillel House

388 N. Pleasant St. #15

Amherst, MA 01002