[HSU-CoordBoardInternal] HSU Grand Charter Proposal - Feb. 13 Town Meeting

xat12 at hampshire.edu xat12 at hampshire.edu
Tue Jan 28 10:37:44 EST 2014

Dear CoordBoard,

The ongoing and recurrent issue with our student government is
undoubtedly the lack of official documents specifying its structure,
its groups' objectives and relations, and its processes and details.
The whole idea of the HSU is currently based on an oral history of
past and present active students, as well as many meeting minutes
dispersed around Hampedia. There is indeed a huge amount of sometimes
contradictory written history in terms of researching, planning and
implementation of the HSU, but there is yet to be a real document that
actually says what it is, how it looks like, and how it works. Our
proposal is to create such a document, which we have called the Grand
Charter of the Hampshire Student Union, and ratify its validity on the
next February 13 Town Meeting.

We wrote this document based on the current state of the HSU,
discussions with peers, and an HSU Revisiting Session held last
semester. We recognize that there are many contentious points in the
Grand Charter, but if we don't begin with some type of "Founding
Document", no progress towards this goal will be made. We also
requested feedback on the document to active HSU members as well as to
Josiah Litant; we considered all of it and included it in the
document. All this being said, we are still absolutely open to more
feedback and suggestions, with the clear understanding that
compromises must be eventually made for the success of any institution.

We're attaching to this e-mail the latest draft of the Grand Charter,
as well as steps on how it would be implemented.

Let us know what you think and when your next Coordinating Board
meeting is. We will try our best to attend it.

Thank you very much,
Ethan Warshow and Xavier Torres de Janon