[HSU-CoordBoardInternal] Letter of (Mostly) Resignation

Dina Spanbock drs09 at hampshire.edu
Thu Oct 31 18:29:42 EDT 2013

Hey,

I'm really sorry to have to do this because I wanted to find a
replacement before I did, but some things have come up in my life and
I'm going to need to step down from HSU effective immediately.

Although HSU and CoordBoard specifically have a lot of issues to work
out, I want to make clear that that is actually not why I am stepping
down. Though it may contribute somewhat, the reason is really that
governance has become something that is distracting me while I am
trying to deal with other issues. It's detracting from my time and,
perhaps more importantly, my energy and ability to do my work, and my
academics need to come before HSU.

The issue with EPC is related - I had originally told EPC that I would
step in this semester, and I have been unable to do that. I still will
not be able to, even though that is my true area of interest within
Hampshire governance and I think it is an extremely important and
fulfilling position, and I encourage any and all of you to consider it.

Obviously, this leaves a big hole in terms of the Scope Group on
Academics. I got in touch with my co-coordinator about a week ago, and
it seems likely that she is unable to take on a full leadership role.
I, too, am still willing to be somewhat involved in the Scope Group,
but for the next bit of time at least, I am unable to spearhead it.
With nobody really acting as a coordinator for the group, I am not
sure how it will come to fruition, so I may be willing to be help out,
with some support, because I think it is extremely important that this
Scope Group doesn't fall to the wayside. That said, I am not yet sure
how I can help. I expect that in the coming weeks, I may be able to
talk to people (like the Accountability Board, Josiah, and others) to
figure out what my role can and should be, as a
sort-of-but-not-really-leader of the group. I guess I see my
involvement to be as a helper of implementation of the Scope Group on
Academics, rather than a co-coordinator of it.

If some of the things in my life get on track and you still need
people to fill spots, I may consider getting involved again, but
certainly don't count on it.

Again, I am so sorry for doing this so suddenly and without having
found a replacement. I wish you all luck in continuing to improve and
move forward the HSU. I really believe it can be both a functional and
enjoyable governance system with some time and work.

Best,
Dina