[HSU-CoordBoardInternal] Town Meeting: Smoking Sanctions

Breonna Mabry breonna.mabry at gmail.com
Sun Dec 1 17:45:36 EST 2013

Hope you all had a fabulous thanksgiving break! I've been thinking a lot
about how we might approach a conversation about the sanctions the follow
violations of the current smoking policy and related NSNS community
norms<https://handbook.hampshire.edu/node/53>.
As I mentioned earlier, Byron wants the students to be involved in
the revisiting of the current enforcement
polic<http://www.hampshire.edu/studentlife/22680.htm>y
in regards to smoking as he believes this will allow students to take
ownership of the policies that affect their daily lives. Last meeting we
discussed the possibility of creating live proposals during town meeting
(we can discuss this further on Thursday). Following this idea, I have
drafted a proposal for the next Town Meeting agenda:

   1. *Brief review of current Smoking Policy
   <http://www.hampshire.edu/envhealthsafety/11746.htm>, NSNS community norms
   regarding smoking, and Current Enforcement Policy Recommendations (5
   minutes)*
   2. *Brief review of Hampshire Smoking values as stated in the most
   recent student life survey
   <http://www.hampshire.edu/studentlife/files/values_survey_results.pdf> (5
   minutes).*
   3. *What should the sanctions be for violating the following smoking
   policies?**(1hr 20 min)*

   -
*Smoking within 25 feet of the building  *
   -
*Smoking indoors  *
   - *Tampering with Smoke Detectors*

*What actions should administration take if a student defiantly identifies
that they plan to ignore smoking policy and refuses to acknowledge the
developmental process of learning about community impact?*

Let me know your immediate thoughts on this agenda specifically. Keep in
mind that i'm just brainstorming!

Cheers,
Bree Mabry

At-large member, CoordBoard