[GRN] Bringing Slam Poet Kit Yan to Hampshire

Brianna Bryse Deane bbd15 at hampshire.edu
Thu Oct 4 16:37:38 EDT 2018

Hello all,

As I mentioned in a previous email, I am trying to organize a
collaborative effort to bring the incredible slam poet Kit Yan
(kityanpoet.com) to Hampshire. I am in the process of communicating
between different groups/offices on campus and Kit to see what would
work best budget & payment wise. Kit's "out of the gate" fee is $5,000,
but they are willing to negotiate down to a lower fee if folks could let
me know what may be manageable for each department/group.

Just so folks know who I have reached out to to try to collaborate with
on this (I BCC'd everyone on the original email), I have emailed the
Queer Community Alliance, Gender Resource Network, The Reader, and
Junoon student groups (in the hopes that we could request money from
Fundcom, but it is limited as to how much can be allocated to one
performer), the office of HACU, The Dean of Student's Office, The
President's Office, the QCAC/CFF, New Student Experience Office, and
Cultural Center.

I have not reached out to Community Advocacy as I have heard that they
are not active this year.

I am hoping, that having so many groups and offices to collaborate with,
that a manageable number could be arranged from each office/group to
contribute to make this a truly collaborative event for our community- I
don't think it would be very fair for us to ask him to go much less than
$4,000 as his fee supports him to be able to travel as a poet full-time,
but if absolute need be, we may be able to negotiate a few hundred
dollars lower than that.

This is from our last correspondence; he would like to know what we can
manage budget-wise and around when we are interested in having them
come:

"I'M SO EXCITED THAT THE RESPONSE HAS BEEN POSITIVE, PRICE FLEXIBILITY
IS DEFINITELY POSSIBLE, WHAT IS YOUR IDEAL BUDGET FOR THIS EVENT?
FOR DATES IT LOOKS LIKE I COULD DO OCT 31, NOV 1-4, 6-10, 13, 14, 20-25,
AND 27-29!
COULD YOU LET ME KNOW ASAP A DATE(S) THAT COULD WORK FOR YOU IN THAT
TIME FRAME SO THAT I CAN HOLD IT FOR HAMPSHIRE?"

If you could please let me know if you are interested, or can
communicate among other offices to see if anybody not previously listed
else might be interested in contributing/collaborating as well, that
would be wonderful so that I can get back to Kit.

Thank you so much for your time!

Best,

Bri