[GRN] [Deadline: Dec 15] Word! Festival Seeking Student Writers of Color

Julie Rosier jrosier at fivecolleges.edu
Tue Nov 21 16:03:38 EST 2017

Hello All,

I'm happy to pass along this information from the Five College Multicultural Theater Program.

The 2018 Word! Festival is currently accepting submissions from student writers of color. To be considered, students must contact their campus representative (contact info below) to express interest in participating by December 15.  Then, they will then need to submit the first 10 pages of a script that they'd like to develop by January 12. Selected students will workshop their plays in February with Playwright in Residence at UMass, Kim Euell<http://www.umass.edu/theater/member/kim-euell>. Winning plays will be presented at the festival on April 5 at Smith College, and winning writers will receive $100 from the James Baldwin Memorial Fund. More information here: https://www.fivecolleges.edu/multitheater/word_festival.

For help with brainstorming ideas or receiving relevant reading recommendations students should contact the Multicultural Theater committee members on their campus sooner rather than later. Here's the committee members' contact info:

Five College Multicultural Theater Campus Representatives
Amherst: Yagil Eliraz<mailto:yeliraz at amherst.edu>, Assistant Professor of Theater and Dance, 542-5349
Hampshire: Natalie Sowell<mailto:nsowell at hampshire.edu>, Associate Professor of Theatre, 559-6099
Mount Holyoke: Noah Tuleja<mailto:ntuleja at mtholyoke.edu>, Lecturer in Theatre Arts, 538-2836
Smith: Len Berkman<mailto:lberkman at smith.edu>, Professor of Theatre, 585-3206
University: Kim Euell<mailto:euell at theater.umass.edu>,  Playwright in Residence, Department of Theater

Please let me know you have any clarifying questions. And if you wouldn't mind forwarding this email along to relevant parties, or requesting that staff plug the Word! Festival submission process on social media to help spread the word about this exciting programming, I'd be very grateful. If there are contacts or programs that you think I should be aware of in my outreach efforts, please do let me know that as well.

Hope you all have a wonderful holiday.

Cheers, Julie

Julie Rosier
Interim Academic Programs Liaison