[GEO] Global Education Office Newsletter

GEO geo at hampshire.edu
Tue Feb 28 14:01:33 EST 2012

Email not looking beautiful?  View it in your browser
http://globaleducationoffice.createsend5.com/t/j/e/qhjiid/dudjtjg/t/                  GEO Weekly

Tuesday 28 2 2012

In this issue     GEO Deadlines       GEO On Campus
International Opportunities: Spotlight on Scholarships and
Grants        The Global Education Office

geo.hampshire.edu
[http://www.hampshire.edu/academics/index_geo.htm]

geo at hampshire.edu

p. 413.559.5542

f. 413.559.6173

Hampshire College, Merrill House

Mon-Fri | 8:30-12pm/1-4:30pm

Need more info?

For general information about GEO, please our website at

geo.hampshire.eduand our intranet calendar to view important
dates, events, and deadlines at  GEO Intranet Calendar
[https://intranet.hampshire.edu/calendar/thyme/index.php?calendar=GEO]
.

Stop by GEO or call our office (413 559 5542) from 9 to noon or 1
to 4pm to make an appointment. We do not make appointments by
email, but you can come to the office to schedule an appointment
, talk to a staff member, or browse through our resource library.

Disclaimer

Opportunities and programs listed on this listserv (unless

specified as Hampshire Exchange or Short-Term Programs) are not
endorsed by our office. It is a list of opportunities that have
come our way that look particularly interesting or that might be
good fit for some Hampshire students. Just because a program is
listed here does necessarily mean that Hampshire "recommends" it
any more than programs not listed.

Share this email http://globaleducationoffice.forwardtomyfriend.com/j/dudjtjg/DFFB9805/qhjiid/l/i

GEO Deadlines

Hampshire Fall Exchange & May/Summer Application Deadline

Thursday 3/8 - 1 week to deadline

Applications for Hampshire 2012 Exchange programs and Hampshire
May/Summer 2012 field-courses are due Thursday, March 8th.
Students interested in applying to a Hampshire Exchange program
MUST make an appointment with a GEO advisor ASAP. Students
applying for a May/Summer field-course should pick-up the
application from GEO. Click on the links for more information on
Fall 2012 Hampshire Exchange programs
[http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/exchange.htm] and for  May/Summer
2012 field-courses. [http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/14400.htm]

Faculty Recommendations

Thursday 3/8 - 1 week to deadline

Have you requested your faculty recommendations for your Spring
Exchange or May/Summer Field Course application? If not, there
is only one week remaining until the March 8th deadline when
recommendations are due for submittal to GEO. Recommendation
forms can be picked-up from our office or found on our  webpage
[http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/files/GEO_Recommendation_Form.pdf].

ASK Conference Registration - "Shifting Identities in Different
Spaces!"

Friday 3/2

MAKE A BIG ASK DIFFERENCE!

Since 2004, the Cultural Center has organized an annual ASK for
Social Justice program for the campus community. The purpose is
to host a program that explores essential Attitudes, Skills, and
Knowledge for promoting social justice. To particpate, please
register online
[https://intranet.hampshire.edu/forms/viewForm.php?id=962] by
Friday, March 2nd.

You can  learn more
[http://www.hampshire.edu/culturalcenter/ask.htm] about the
dynamic workshops, including a workshop being offered by GEO
staff members Matthew Shamey and Meghan Black, on March 11th.

GEO On Campus

Sea Semester  [http://www.sea.edu/]

Tuesday 3/6 | 12-1:30pm | Dining Commons

SEA, Sea Education Association, is an internationally recognized
leader in ocean education operating from Woods Hole. Sea
Semester brings students from all disciplines to the deep ocean
under sail to study the science & culture of the sea through a
hands-on approach. A representative from SEA will be on campus
on Tuesday, March 6, from 12noon to 1:30pm hosting an
information table in the Dining Commons.

International Opportunities: Spotlight on Scholarships and Grants

CIEE [http://www.ciee.org/study-abroad/] -  Global Access
Initiative (GAIN)
[http://www.ciee.org/study-abroad/scholarships/gain-scholarship/?utm_campaign=gain_scholarship&utm_medium=redirect&utm_source=url_redirect&utm_content=gain_scholarship_redirect]

CIEE Announces $1 Million Scholarship Program to Expand Access to
Study Abroad

CIEE launched GAIN to help overcome the main barriers to study
abroad, namely, challenges of cost and curriculum requirements.
GAIN will aide in diversifying study abroad by providing
opportunities for students who are economically challenged, from
diverse backgrounds, or underrepresented fields of study. CIEE
is providing one million dollars each year through grants and
scholarships to expand access for students for full-year,
semester, and summer study abroad programs. GAIN will also
provide grants and scholarships to students who are selected as
awardees by the highly respected Benjamin A. Gilman and David L.
Boren Scholarship programs.

Grants and scholarships will be available for the 36 CIEE summer
programs offered in 21 countries. GAIN will also provide grants
and scholarships to students who are selected as awardees by the
highly respected Benjamin A. Gilman and David L. Boren
Scholarship programs.

IFSA Butler [http://www.ifsa-butler.org/] -  1st Generation
Scholar Program
[http://www.ifsa-butler.org/first-generation-scholar-program.html]

Deadline: April 1, 2012 | Fall 2012 & Year 2012/13

The Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University (IFSA-Butler)
is implementing a new First Generation Scholars Program. This
achievement-based program offers first generation college
students significant financial, academic and pre-professional
assistance for enrollment in an IFSA-Butler semester or year
program. The scholarship is worth up to $2,500 and covers the
following expenses and reimbursements:

$500 housing and meals scholarship for any IFSA-Butler program
Flight transportation (approximately $,1500 value)   Student
Visa fee reimbursement (approximately $400 value)  Passport fee
reimbursement (approximately $150 value)  Specialized
predeparture information  Special first generation parent
publication  Student blog  Resume building/reentry workshop

Connect-123 Internship & Volunteer Programs
[http://www.connect-123.com/] -  2012 Scholarship Competition
[http://www.connect-123.com/about/scholarships/]

Deadline: March 31, 2012

Students can win a free trip -- including airfare and housing --
to complete a career-related, international internship in any of
the Connect-123's five locations -- Barcelona, Buenos Aires,
Cape Town, Dublin or Shanghai. The  winner will be selected by
best response to the following question:

Describe, using words, photos or a video, how the opportunity to
work, learn and explore on a Connect-123 international program
would make a difference in your life and/or in the lives of
others.

The application deadline is March 31 and winners will be
announced on April15. The competition is open to both
undergraduates and graduates.

If you would no longer like to receive the GEO listserve, please:

Global Education Office | Hampshire College

geo.hampshire.edu

geo at hampshire.edu | 413.559.5542 | Merrill House