[GEO] GEO Weekly Digest - Spring Break Edition!

Global Education Office geo at hampshire.edu
Fri Mar 11 14:58:32 EST 2011

Welcome to the exciting Spring Break Edition of the GEO Weekly Digest!
Whether you’re going somewhere exciting and warm or heading home to
relax, spring break is an excellent time to start thinking about going
abroad.

Remember that all of GEO's weekly digests (since fall '07) are available
online! Follow the link at the very bottom of this email, then click on
"GEO Archives".

Contents

Upcoming GEO Events
- Info table for Living Routes
- Navigating Study Abroad, Thursdays at 4pm

Save the Date: Study Abroad Deadlines
- Freeman-ASIA Scholarship Deadline
- Enrollment Notification Deadline
- Bridging Scholarship deadline

Special Information:
- Service Semester in Guyana
- Five College Seminar on Africa and the Middle East
- Conflict Transformation Studies in Caux, Switzerland
- Summer study in Rome on Food and Culture
- Summer Irish Studies program at Trinity College, Dublin

GEO Resources
-GEO Ambassadors
-GEO Website

---------
*Living Routes Info Table
Dining Commons
Tuesday, March 1st, 11:30 AM to 1:30 PM

Living Routes offers the unique opportunity to study in communities
across the globe striving to live more sustainably. Programs involve
cultural immersion and service learning, as well as experimental,
inquiry-based academic coursework. Programs are offered over the
semester, and in the summer, in locations as diverse as Brazil, India,
Israel, and Scotland. Stop by during lunch and chat about the
opportunities, or just pick up some literature. A representative from
Living Routes will be at the table.

*Study Abroad Info Session | Every Thursday 4PM | Merrill Living Room

Weekly GEO Info Sessions provide an overview of study abroad options and
how to begin planning your study abroad experience.

--------
SAVE THE DATE: STUDY ABROAD DEADLINES

Freeman-ASIA Scholarship Deadline for Fall
April 1st

Enrollment Notification Deadline (CASA):
April 8th, 2011

Bridging Scholarship Deadline (Study Abroad Japan)
April 8th, 2011

--------

 >> Service Semester in Guyana <<
Deadline April 15th, 2011

Over this 11 week program, students will get the unique opportunity to
study in the North Rupunuui region of Guyana, South America. This tiny
English speaking country is composed mostly of pristine tropical rain
forest and unparalleled biodiversity. North Rupunuui is also home to the
Makushi indigenous people, who still live in villages, hunt with bow and
arrow, and practice small-scale agriculture. Their leaders recognize the
growing change in the region, however, and through this program students
will help Makushi communities reach their goals of increased literacy
and numeracy in a mutually rewarding way. Students will live in
villages, learning from the Makushi’s strong relationship with the
environment and experience in informal learning, while supporting local
initiatives to increase literacy and numeracy.
For more information contact Claire Carroll at ccarol3 at lesley.edu or
David Morimoto at morimoto at lesley.edu

 >> Five College Seminar on Africa and the Middle East <<
Deadline March 28th
In this Five College summer research seminar, six students will have the
opportunity to be an integral part of an exciting research program
alongside Five College professors. Students, in addition to being housed
at Amherst College or a similar facility, will receive meals and a $400
dollar weekly stipend. Students will be responsible for familiarizing
themselves with a specific core of books and articles provided to them,
producing an independent research paper, working with a faculty member
to assist them in their research (with the possibility of sharing
publication credit), and enhancing the Five College Middle Eastern
Studies website.
Students interested in finding out more should contact Sue Dickman at
sdickman at fivecolleges.edu

 >> Conflict Transformation Studies in Caux, Switzerland <<
Deadline April 1st

The Caux Scholars Program is offering a program in “Exploring Justice:
Transitional, Restorative, and Indigenous Applications” for young
professionals and students from July 3rd to the 31st. Students will have
the opportunity to participate in the Caux Forum for Human Security, an
event attendable by invitation only, and populated by political and
religious leaders, the media, and leaders from international
organizations. To learn more about this unique program, visit their
website at:
www.cauxscholars.org

 >> Summer study in Rome on Food and Culture <<
Deadline March 25th, 2011

In this 5-week summer full immersion course, students will study at
Rome’s Gustolab Institute Center for Food and Culture, combining
traditional lectures and discussion meetings (in English) with hands-on
co-curricular activities and field trips in and around Rome. Students
will learn about food and its complex connections with culture,
nutrition, environment, society, economics, and politics. Students will,
in addition to studying with experts in each course topic, will explore
first-hand the food culture of Rome, using and improving their Italian.
http://www.umass.edu/italian/studyabroad/roma.html

 >> Summer Irish Studies program at Trinity College, Dublin <<

Historic Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland, is offering students the
chance to immerse themselves in Irish culture and history this summer
from June 16th through August 4th. Students will be able to study
History, Literature, Drama, Art/Film, Gaelic Culture, Economics, and
Social Studies under leading Irish faculty. In addition, students will
be able to experience complementary field trips and cultural events,
guest speakers and artists, poetry readings, film screenings,
traditional music sessions, Gaelic sports events, and more. Transcripts
from Trinity for the courses done are available as well.
For more information, please email tss at uslt.le

---------

GEO Ambassadors:
GEO Ambassadors: Becky Tang, Thais Guisasola, Xiaolei Gu, Jake Kolpas,
Aymee Malena, Ximena Casado, and Nathan Whitehouse. Come by the office
from 9 to noon or 1 to 4 and they will be happy to talk to you about
study abroad.

Stop by GEO or call our office (413 559 5542) from 9 to noon or 1 to 4
to make an appointment. We do not make appointments by email, but you
can come to the office to schedule an appointment, talk to a staff
member, or browse through our resource library.

Look at our website too: http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/

------

For questions/suggestions regarding this list email geo at
hampshire.edu. Have a great break!

DISCLAIMER: Opportunities and programs listed on this listserv (unless
specified as Hampshire Exchange or Short-Term Programs) are not endorsed
by our office. It is a list of opportunities that have come our way that
look particularly interesting or that might be good fit for some
Hampshire students. Just because a program is listed here does
necessarily mean that Hampshire "recommends" it any more than programs
not listed.

--

Global Education Office | Hampshire College
893 West Street | Amherst, Massachusetts 01002 USA

Phone: 413.559.5542 | Fax: 413.559-6173

Office Hours: Monday- Friday, 8:30am-noon, 1-4:30pm
Campus Location: Merrill Student Life Center, 1st floor

http://geo.hampshire.edu