[GEO] University of Edinburgh, Center for Ecological Living and Learning, and more!

Global Education Office geo at hampshire.edu
Fri Nov 9 16:02:59 EST 2007

(My apologies that the last email had only a title! Here's the
accompanying text.)

NEXT WEEK'S GEO-RELATED EVENTS

 >> University of Edinburgh Representative On Campus
Tuesday, November 13 @ 3:30pm
FPH Room 105
Interested in Hampshire's exchange program at the University of
Edinburgh in Scotland? Here's a perfect chance to learn more about the
university from Tom McGlew, and American who has made his academic
career in the UK. He is currently a professor in the School of Social
and Political Studies at the University of Edinburgh.
More info about this exchange program:
http://www.hampshire.edu/cms/index.php?id=9093

 >> Info Session about Hampshire Students Going Abroad
Wednesday, November 14 @ 5-6pm
Dakin Living Room
Come hear students talk about their experiences going abroad while at
Hampshire -- and get time to ask them questions about those experiences.
Some Hampshire faculty who coordinate & lead Hampshire exchange programs
will also be speaking and available to talk to about their programs.
This is a perfect event for first years (or anyone) who wants to hear
about Hampshire programs from students & faculty who previously
participated on an exchange! This event is organized by Maryette
Haggerty Perrault, Dakin ResLife Intern and previous participant of
Hampshire's Cuba exchange program. If you previously went abroad and
want to share your experiences at this event, please email Maryette,
she'd love to hear from you! Her email is: mah05 at hampshire.edu.

 >> "Homecoming in Southern Sudan" Documentary Screening + Panel
Wednesday, November 14 @ 7pm
Amherst College, Converse Hall, Cole Assembly
A handful of Sudanese refugees are coming to the Five College area to
speak about issues such as race, cultural adaptation, as well unveil the
documentary film entitled “Homecoming in Southern Sudan.” This film,
which has been aired on the WGBH television show “Greater Boston”, is an
account these young men’s long awaited return to their families in the
Sudan during a trip in January of 2006. A panel of these young men along
with members of the FOS (Friends of the Sudanese, based in eastern Mass)
will share their experiences and complex insights on the film and the
journey that they have shared together for the past six years. This is a
Five College event that GEO and Hampshire's Office for Diversity and
Multicultural Education are co-sponsoring, and we look forward to seeing
fellow Hampshire people there!
More info about FOS: http://www.friendsofsudanese.org

 >> CANCELLED: GEO's Open Mic/Gallery
If you saw our announcement in last week's GEO digest or on the HC
announcements asking for submissions, we're very sorry to inform you
that the Tavern was double-booked! We hope to have a similar event next
semester, so if you were planning to participate in the open mic or
submit things for the gallery, please let us know and we will contact
you next semester if/when we reschedule the event!

OPPORTUNITIES FOR GOING ABROAD

Hampshire Exchange Spotlight: University of Edinburgh (Scotland)
Hampshire students have the opportunity to study in Edinburgh, Scotland
through our institutional affiliation with The University of Edinburgh.
Studying at the University of Edinburgh places you in the heart of the
city, as the University is an integral part of the city's character and
history. The University of Edinburgh is one of the UK's leading
universities. It was founded in 1583 and has been attracting
international students for over four centuries. In terms of the quality
of its teaching and research, it is considered on of the leaders not
only in the UK, but in Europe and beyond. Edinburgh is also one of the
UK's larger, more diverse universities, with a current student
population of over 23,000 (roughly 16,000 undergraduates and 7,000
postgraduates). Nearly 5,100 of these students are international and are
drawn from more than 130 different countries. As a visiting student you
can choose any courses from those offered by the College of Humanities &
Social Science or Science and Engineering. If you're interested in this
program, please contact the Global Education Office to find out more
information and how you can apply! (Also be sure to note that next week
a representative from Edinburgh will be coming to campus!)
GEO's info on this exchange: http://www.hampshire.edu/cms/index.php?id=9093
University of Edinburgh's website:
http://www.international.ed.ac.uk/apply/visiting.htm

Center for Ecological Living and Learning (CELL)
Work with some of the best international development organizations in
the world while in Central America or Iceland. This includes hands-on
field world, such as helping conserve endangered sea turtles, building
and installing solar power systems in rural villages, or living and
working in an eco-village and exploring ways that people can live more
sustainability. Although these programs have a "sustainability" theme,
they are interdisciplinary by design and will fit numerous programs of
study.
More Info: http://www.cellonline.org

EuroScholars Program: A European Academic Research Experience
If you're interested in studying at one of Europe's internationally
renowned European Research Universities, look at the EuroScholars
Program, which includes participating universities from Switzerland,
Finland, Sweden, Germany, the Netherlands, and Belgium. All these
institutions are ranked in the top 2% of the 4,000 universities in
Europe. Programs of study available are wide-ranging and depend on the
institution you would want to study at. Each participant conducts a
research project with the help of their host institution.
More Info: http://www.euroscholars.eu

FELLOWSHIPS & SCHOLARSHIPS

Nothing new here this week, but remember that if you're wondering about
finances, funding, and scholarships, a good place to start is GEO's
"Finances and Funding" page, with some major scholarships we know of and
also online search engines and databases for academic funding!
http://www.hampshire.edu/cms/index.php?id=9141

QUESTIONS? SUGGESTIONS?
For questions/suggestions regarding this list, or to schedule an
appointment to discuss going abroad, please contact the Global Education
Office secretary, Rose Hansen, at x5542 or brhGEO at hampshire.edu.

B. Rose Hansen
Administrative Secretary
Global Education Office