[Cs254f11] elegance of functional programming

Omri Bernstein ob08 at hampshire.edu
Fri Oct 7 14:24:46 EDT 2011

And here's a neat trick to get the absolute notes back from the intervals
list:

(def myintervals [2 2 1 2 2 2 1 -1 -2 -2 -2 -2 -1 -2])

(reductions + 60 myintervals)
>> (60 62 64 65 67 69 71 72 71 69 67 65 63 62 60)

The "reduce" function takes a function (let's call it f) an optional
starting value (val) and a collection (coll). It then returns the evaluation
of something that would look like this:

(f
  (f
    (f
      val
      (nth coll 1))
    (nth coll 2))
  (nth coll 3) ...)

For all the elements in coll. The "reductions" function returns a list of
the intermediates, equivalent to something like this:

[ (f val (nth coll 1))
  (f (f val (nth coll 1)) (nth coll 2))
  (f (f (f val (nth coll 1)) (nth coll 2)) (nth coll 3))
  ... ]

-Omri